Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 2570p
Linux

My Ubuntu 16.04 LTS OS has crashed and so severely that I have no access thru Linux to files, networking, internet, or DVD drive.  I have an .iso of 16.04 LTS burned on a DVD but can't get the EliteBook 2570p BIOS to boot from the DVD.  I have seen one reference in HP forums about changing the BIOS boot sequence by accessing the "Advanced tab" in the BIOS, but later forums confirm that the Advanced tab is permanently blocked.  I can accept this, but I need to know how to get my notebook to boot from my Linux DVD .iso. (My BIOS: 681SB Ver. F.00 last updated 5/17/12).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CarlWSchulze wrote:
Another contributor suggested that my .iso needs to be made bootable, but I'm not sure what's required.  I downloaded "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image" from the Ubuntu web site onto a Win10 system. I found the download in the file system of the Win10, right clicked and selected "send to" "DVD RW drive D:" which asks whether I want to use it "like a USB flash drive" or "with a CD/DVD player."  Of course I burned separate disks with each of the options, and neither work; the cripple version of Ubuntu 16.04 always takes over.  Do you think there's something wrong with the DVDs I'm using?

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Yes, what you describe above is wrong. "Send to" is like copying the file to a CD/DVD device with the file system which makes the DVD non-bootable but one that contains files only.

Here is the correct way to write or burn the Ubuntu ISO from within Windows computer:

ISO/Rufus/USB >> How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

ISO/DVD >> How to write ISO to new blank DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Once the above is completed, proceed with booting from Ubuntu's media (either USB drive or the DVD you just created):

Use F9 option

You can try this :

• Insert the Ubuntu DVD or Ubuntu USB drive - prepared previously
  • Shutdown the computer using the power button.
  • Power back on the PC.
  • As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).
  • This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the DVD device or the USB device as boot option.

Ubuntu bootable media should begin loading.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

You won't be able to boot to an .ISO.

You will have to convert the .ISO to a bootable DVD or USB stick.

Best method is to take the .ISO and convert to a bootable USB stick on a different PC using Rufus.

Most HP PC's can get to the BIOS Start Menu by tapping "ESC" at boot.

Then select the correct USB boot device to get to the portable operating system or the installation media.

The Grzy

HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Here is your product's service guide >> http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5259393&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03...

BIOS section at page 114

In order to access the boot menu you do not always need to access the BIOS F10

You can try this :

• Insert the Ubuntu DVD prepared previously
  • Power back on the PC.
  • As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the DVD device (may be called also Notebook upgrade bay)  as boot option.

Ubuntu DVD disc should begin loading.

If the above still does not work, please provide details and concrete steps you did.

Also, use F10 to enter BIOS and

* Ensure Secure Boot is disabled.

* Ensure Legacy mode is enabled.

* Save the UEFI/BIOS changes.

Details>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thanks for suggestion.  I downloaded Rufus, but when I invoked it on the Win10 system on which I'd downloaded Ubuntu-16.04.1 LTS, it seemed to create a bootable version of Win10 on the memory stick.  It certainly did not query me on which OS I wished to have a bootable OS created on the stick.  How do I get Rufus to create a bootable version of the Ubuntu-16.04.1-LTS.iso file I have on my Win10 system?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your thorough approach to the problem.

1) Secure Boot appears to be irrelevant, and no option is presented in the BIOS.  My EliteBook 2570p came armed with Win7, and HP documentation says that HP devices of that era did not offer a Secure Boot option.

2) In the BIOS F10 under System Configuration/Boot Options/Boot Mode, Legacy is the default so I left it as is.

3) Also under F10 System Configuration/Boot Options the boot possibilites include "Fast boot," "CD-ROM boot," "SD card boot," "Floppy boot," "PXE Internal NIC boot," "USB device boot," "Upgrade Bay Hard Drive boot," and "eSATA boot."  Most of these were already checked, so I unchecked all but "CD-ROM boot," saved it, and let fly with my Ubuntu-16.04.1-LTS.iso disk in the DVD drive.  No dice. The crippled version of Ubuntu still takes over and boots, though it should be noted that as it boots you can hear the DVD drive fire up and spin at high for a second or two.

I tried unchecking "CD-ROM boot" and selecting "Upgrade Bay Hard Drive boot" instead, but the results were the same.

Another contributor suggested that my .iso needs to be made bootable, but I'm not sure what's required.  I downloaded "64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image" from the Ubuntu web site onto a Win10 system. I found the download in the file system of the Win10, right clicked and selected "send to" "DVD RW drive D:" which asks whether I want to use it "like a USB flash drive" or "with a CD/DVD player."  Of course I burned separate disks with each of the options, and neither work; the cripple version of Ubuntu 16.04 always takes over.  Do you think there's something wrong with the DVDs I'm using?

HP Recommended

@CarlWSchulze wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Yes, what you describe above is wrong. "Send to" is like copying the file to a CD/DVD device with the file system which makes the DVD non-bootable but one that contains files only.

Here is the correct way to write or burn the Ubuntu ISO from within Windows computer:

ISO/Rufus/USB >> How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

ISO/DVD >> How to write ISO to new blank DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Once the above is completed, proceed with booting from Ubuntu's media (either USB drive or the DVD you just created):

Use F9 option

You can try this :

• Insert the Ubuntu DVD or Ubuntu USB drive - prepared previously
  • Power back on the PC.

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the DVD device or the USB device as boot option.

Ubuntu bootable media should begin loading.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.