Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I recently reinstalled Windows7 Professional 32-bit, and now the following items are showing with no driver in Device Manager:

PCI Serial Port

PCI Simple Simple Communications Controller

What driver(s) do I need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for those devices...

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Components Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75384.exe

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You need this driver for those devices...

This package provides the Intel Management Engine Components Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75384.exe

HP Recommended

Okay, how do I figure this out for myself?

I've had this problem with every HP desktop and laptop model we've purchased in the last six years.  I download the driver pack for the model and OS, and none of them every contain drivers for these two devices.  What are they, what do they do, how important are they, why aren't the drivers in the driver pack with everything else, and how do I find the drivers for myself (assuming they're needed)?

HP Recommended

Hi, @Charles_Spencer :

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID's for the devices that need drivers, google the hardware ID's, and you should almost always be able to find the drivers you need.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

For those two specific devices, they are part of the Intel Active Managment Technology system.

If your PC is not connected to a corporate network where they need to 'push' hardware and software updates to the PC, they are not really necessary.

The PCI serial port driver might also be needed if you connect serial port devices to the PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

If you get stuck finding a driver or two, you can always post the model # of the PC, the operating system you need the driver for, and the hardware ID for the device(s) on this forum.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I guess.  Yes, my devices are on a corporate network, and we use SCCM to push updates and software to them.

I don't understand why these drivers aren't included in each model's driver pack with all its other drivers, or why they don't appear to be accessible from each model's driver page.   Am I missing them?  If they're there, what category are they?

It seems like a model's web page either doesn't have the drivers I'm looking for, or there are component drivers for multiple makes and models and no easy way to determine what I have installed.   There's not much point in a driver web page if customers can't find what they're looking for, or if it doesn't contain every driver required for a device.  Based on the number of questions I see on this subject, I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.  Is there any help page, guidance, best practices, or other instructions for effectively using HP's driver pages? 

Theoretically I get paid to support this hardware; HP shouldn't have to depend on the kindness of volunteers to support their hardware, and I can't expect volunteers to be always available.  Thanks.  End of rant.

HP Recommended

You're welcome, I guess.

I don't work for or represent HP, and there are no resources that I know of, that provide the information that you are looking for.

I suggest you address your issues to the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

I don't get paid to read or respond to rants.

I've given you the tools to find the drivers you need. 

I suggest you make good use of them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.