Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6-2310EF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I'm currently experiencing some issues with my operating system. I need to change some settings in the bios of my P6-2310EF but a password is asked.

I read a few posts on this forum and it seems that the password is factory set. Is there a way to get the password for this model of Pavilion?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason you can't clear the BIOS P/W is due to the fact that the instructions to clear the P/W are incorrect as written.

I have rewritten the instructions for you below, and that should resolve the problem...

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.  The BIOS P/W should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default.
  6. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There was no BIOS password set at the factory. 

See the Clear the Password section on the following motherboard document.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-Desktop-PC-series/5295969/model/5309829/document/...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer.

However, it does not seem to work. I tried the reset password jumper and the clear cmos jumper. The system still asks for a password...

Regards

HP Recommended

Unplug the power cord, remove the RTC battery and  press and hold the power button for about ten seconds.

Once that has been done, repeat the clear the password steps.

If that does not resolve the issue, then there is something you are not doing correctly or the motherboard has a problem.

Your desktop is from the 2012 model year, so a component failure is a possibility.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

The reason you can't clear the BIOS P/W is due to the fact that the instructions to clear the P/W are incorrect as written.

I have rewritten the instructions for you below, and that should resolve the problem...

To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3
  3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.  The BIOS P/W should now be cleared.
  4. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  5. Then move the jumper back to default.
  6. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
HP Recommended

Hello,

It worked perfectly, I now have access to the bios setup.

Thanks a lot for your help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.