Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Wireless Elite Desktop

How do I prevent the company who contacted me about problems with my computer who I now believe is a fake support company from accessing my personal information I gave to them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@klng2

@klng2 wrote:

How do I prevent the company who contacted me about problems with my computer who I now believe is a fake support company from accessing my personal information I gave to them?

I am sorry this happened to you!  :Crying:

Hmm..  Well, you gave them the information -- you don't know what they will do with it.

Try to protect yourself "after the fact" -- a few ideas:

• Change all your passwords -- for everything.  Do it.
  • Talk to your bank - let them know what happened and have them block transactions.  Get new Charge and Debit cards.  Change your UserID and your password to your online bank account.
  • Invest in some decent Security software -- you are past the point where this can prevent damage from having given away personal information -- good security software can help prevent someone / something sneaking into the system to take advantage again.
  • Where possible, get new accounts -- for example, if you can stand it, get a new email address.
  • Ask your health care if you can change your UserID to your web account (if you have that).
  • Get an answering machine and use it to screen all calls -- your family will quickly get used to leaving a message that says, "Hey, it's me!  Pick up!"  Don't answer unknown calls.  (Thieves have your phone number now -- they will likely share it with others who might take advantage.)

Talk to a friend, your Pastor, a neighbor, or a family member -- do not go through this trumatic experience by yourself.  You are not the only one to whom this has happened.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@klng2

@klng2 wrote:

I am sorry this happened to you!  :Crying:

Hmm..  Well, you gave them the information -- you don't know what they will do with it.

Try to protect yourself "after the fact" -- a few ideas:

• Change all your passwords -- for everything.  Do it.
  • Talk to your bank - let them know what happened and have them block transactions.  Get new Charge and Debit cards.  Change your UserID and your password to your online bank account.
  • Invest in some decent Security software -- you are past the point where this can prevent damage from having given away personal information -- good security software can help prevent someone / something sneaking into the system to take advantage again.
  • Where possible, get new accounts -- for example, if you can stand it, get a new email address.
  • Ask your health care if you can change your UserID to your web account (if you have that).
  • Get an answering machine and use it to screen all calls -- your family will quickly get used to leaving a message that says, "Hey, it's me!  Pick up!"  Don't answer unknown calls.  (Thieves have your phone number now -- they will likely share it with others who might take advantage.)

Talk to a friend, your Pastor, a neighbor, or a family member -- do not go through this trumatic experience by yourself.  You are not the only one to whom this has happened.

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.