Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 23 ALL-IN-ONE
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I replaced a corrupted HDD on my PC with a brand new one, and now i'm getting the error 'no boot disk has been detected or disk has failed' whenever i try to start.

I've gone into the BIOS settings and can see that new HDD is recognised - and other tests against the new disk come back ok.

Any ideas what to do next?

It came installed with Windows 8.1 and i had the free upgrade to Windows 10.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The F11 only works if the original hard drive is installed.  If you have a new hard drive F11 will not work because there is nothing on the drive for F11 to address.  So the only recourse is -

The new hard drive needs the software to be reinstalled.  Assuming you would like Windows 10 again, it will need to be downloaded from Microsoft and then installed.  On a different working computer, go to here and make use Media Creation tool to make installation media to then install Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"  Click on the + and follow the directions until completed.  Or get a retail copy of Windows 10 and run the install.  If you are using either way to install Windows 10, when it asks for a product key, click "Skip" and then proceed to install.  It will self-activate once you connect to the internet.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

With this statement "It came installed with Windows 8.1 and i had the free upgrade to Windows 10."

I assume you mean the HP ENVY 23 ALL-IN-ONE.  If you did not do anything to the new hard drive, then what you are seeing is expected.  The new hard drive needs the software to be reinstalled.  Assuming you would like Windows 10 again, it will need to be downloaded from Microsoft and then installed.  On a different working computer, go to here and make use Media Creation tool to make installation media to then install Windows 10.

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"  Click on the + and follow the directions until completed.  Or get a retail copy of Windows 10 and run the install.  If you are using either way to install Windows 10, when it asks for a product key, click "Skip" and then proceed to install.  It will self-activate once you connect to the internet.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks TheOldMan.. I thought with Windows 10 you didn't need a recovery disk? Reading on some other forums that you can just press f11 and it takes you to the recovery menu. I get the no boot disk msg when I try that. 

HP Recommended

The F11 only works if the original hard drive is installed.  If you have a new hard drive F11 will not work because there is nothing on the drive for F11 to address.  So the only recourse is -

The new hard drive needs the software to be reinstalled.  Assuming you would like Windows 10 again, it will need to be downloaded from Microsoft and then installed.  On a different working computer, go to here and make use Media Creation tool to make installation media to then install Windows 10.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks so much.. I will try this and post back on how I got on.. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

thanks again - it worked a treat!

HP Recommended

Most Welcome!!  I love it when a plan comes together

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.