Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-215xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This box came with windows 7 64 bit Home OS.  I recently upgraded to the windows 10 OS in order to take advantage of the latest OS.  Around August the windows 10 anniverary update became available but upon attempting multiple times it have failed.  I receive a 0xc1900200 error and a reference to the system reserved partition not being big enough.  I don't seem to see a partition called System Reserved partition but have tried to expande what looks like a 100 MB SRP, using Partition Magic.  It doesn't let me change this 100 MB partition.  The PC runs fine but because of MS auto updates, which I need to keep other MS software up to date, I get regular failures of the Anniversary update release.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update to my last post!

Just to be clear, my status was that I had a Win 7 machine that I had upgraded successfully to  Win 10 and was trying to get the update to the Win 10 Anniversary edition.  I don't think that the post on the MS site that I refer to below was exactly that situation but it was close enough that it might also apply. 

I went back to a Microsoft post, “We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10, which indicates that you need 15 MB to do the Win 10 update.  After allocating the "Y" following the instructions, I was unable to see it in Explorer so I decided to use DOS level commands to do the next steps for a GPT partition.   I initially deleted the  unused languages but this did not free up enough space.  I then proceeded to delete the fonts for Japanese, Korean and Chinese languages.  These were close to and over 3 MB in some cases thereby alowing me to have about 20 MB free on my System Reserved Patition.  This allowed to do the Anniversary update.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@maj3
Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand you are unable to install the anniversary update for windows,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to resolve this issue for your PC:

Let's start with disabling your anti-virus whilst upgrading:

Then update from Windows 10 to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update please click the next link (manually):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Click the Update now button to start the download.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the approach but I have already tried this solution and it was unsuccessful.  I also downloaded the update to a DVD and tried going that route.  It also gave me an unsuccessful result.  I have seed a post somwhere which indicated that when doing an Anniversary update on a PC which was originally upgraded from Win 7 to the original Win 10 that drivers remained from the Win 7 but I have been unable to confirm this nor have I been able to get any updates to my drivers.

HP Recommended

@maj3
Thank you for replying,

I recommend you reinstall windows and start fresh if the below steps aren't helpful as that's the only other way to fix this windows issue:

Method 1. Run Microsoft’s Troubleshooter to Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update Failed Installs

Method 2. Delete Downloaded Windows 10 Anniversary Update Folder Files to Fix Installation Fails

Method 3. Use the System File Checker Tool to Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update Failed Installs

Method 4. Update Your Drivers before Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried the 4 methods you indicated.

method 1 the troubleshooter comes back and doesn't appear able to correct problem

method2 Deleted update folder

method 3 ran System  File Checker, no problems found

method 4 updated drivers that were indicated in the HP Assistant app

None of these resulted in any different results than what I had been receiving, all of which go back to the message:

"We couldn't update the System Reserved Partition"  or the error code 0xc1900200.

Since this Pc has 2 years worth of apps and assorted data, doing a fresh install of Windows isn't really a viable option. 

HP Recommended

Hi@maj3,

I thank you for the reply.

I recommend you try the steps from the Microsoft article and check if that helps you fix the issue.

It’s a lengthy step, so execute it slowly and accurately.

http://hp.care/2dSOcMa

Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for how long its taken me to reply.  I looked at the MS article, which doen't mention Win 10 as an OS but it seemed like it would resolve the problem.  When I tried to access the system reserve partiton, which is fat 32, I was unable to get to do anything with it.  I have tried using the free Partition Magic utility, but it also does not let me move or resize this partition.

I'm not sure if there is something else going on or if I need to do something else but it is very frustrating.  I did make 150 MB of unallocated space from my C drive but am unable to expand the 100 MB system reserved partition.  Is there something I am missing.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

> is there something I am missing?

Only a different posting on this board:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Can-t-Update-System-Reserved-Par...

which reports the same problem, and gives a solution.

HP Recommended

Hello again,

After purchasing a 2 TB WD drive and then having to buy a SATA cable, I always found there to be a spare in the PC, I still am unable to clone and increase the size of the SRB.  I'm wondering if this has something to do with the fact that all the other partitions are NTFS while the SRB is FAT 32.  I did try using another fix which someone suggested by going in through a DOS prompt and deleting language files.  Although this provided some additional space, it doesn't appear to be enough to do the install.

None of the partition tools I tried allowed me to modify the SRB outside of the 1 MB that appears to be adjacent to it.  Using the cloning process in manual mode, I wasn't able to expand the SRB and when I used proportional, it appears to leave it at its current size while modifying the other partitions.  It also seems to indicate some sort of error on the SRB but I am unable to ascertain what that error is nor repair it.

HP Recommended

Update to my last post!

Just to be clear, my status was that I had a Win 7 machine that I had upgraded successfully to  Win 10 and was trying to get the update to the Win 10 Anniversary edition.  I don't think that the post on the MS site that I refer to below was exactly that situation but it was close enough that it might also apply. 

I went back to a Microsoft post, “We couldn’t update system reserved partition” error installing Windows 10, which indicates that you need 15 MB to do the Win 10 update.  After allocating the "Y" following the instructions, I was unable to see it in Explorer so I decided to use DOS level commands to do the next steps for a GPT partition.   I initially deleted the  unused languages but this did not free up enough space.  I then proceeded to delete the fonts for Japanese, Korean and Chinese languages.  These were close to and over 3 MB in some cases thereby alowing me to have about 20 MB free on my System Reserved Patition.  This allowed to do the Anniversary update.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.