Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion e9127
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I want to upgrade to 10 from Vista but when I tried it said there was a combatibility issue even though I have enough GB, memory and GHZ. I received help from Microsoft and have everyting set up to download the digital copy I bought. They searched for my desktop on the HP site and it says the operating system is XP or Vista. Does this mean I will never be able to upgrade?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, that is correct.   You cannot upgrade from Vista to W10.

If you received a W10 product key, you will have to clean install W10. 

You can only upgrade from W7, and 8.1.

That means you will have to reinstall any programs and files onto your new installation of W10.

So, back up any files you don't want to lose before proceeding to install W10.

HP Recommended

A "clean" installation has a few steps:

* buy an external disk-drive;

* backup all your files/music/pictures/videos/bookmarks/E-mail-messages to an external disk-drive;

* reboot your computer, and force it to boot from the installation media;

* after Windows is installed, reload your files from that external disk-drive.

An "upgrade" installation means that while Vista is running, you insert the Windows 10 installation media (USB memory-stick or the first of a few DVD-disks), and launch the 'setup.exe' program from that media.

Unfortunately, the installation program for Windows 10 does not support that "update" method from Windows Vista to Windows 10, forcing you to use the "clean" installation method.

Recommendation: if you are going to do a "clean" install, consider the age and capacity and speed of your current disk-drive. It's probably 6 to 10 years old -- well past any "warranty".   Buy a newer, larger, faster disk-drive, and install Windows onto it.  After the install, attach the current disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive, and copy all your personal files from "old" to "new".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.