Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8200 SFF 8GB RAM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded 3 home computers (laptops and desktops) to WIN 10 since launch and have been part of the Windows Insider program for 8 months - (identifying problems with NVIDIA drivers and the like). All family computers have upgraded with minimal fuss apart from HP Elite 8200 SFF - core i5 vpro.

Be aware that this PC passes all hardware diagnostics and has new hard drive and compatible memory and works 100% without error on Win 7 Home - motherboard and processor are out of the box two weeks ago. The PC has been reset to Win 7 since.

After install there were many blue screens including:-

Memory management errors

Bad pool header error

Multiple Frequent internet requests (probably from microsoft OneDrive based storage)

I understand that this machine has not been tested as part of a compatibility check by HP / Microsoft.

My question is:- Will there be updates to the HP Driver Support site in the near future to include Windows 10 64bit drivers for relevant machines? Or links included for Intel Chipset drivers when available for Win10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Maybe try again before the free period expires.

It is possible they will have worked out some bugs and release more updates to W10.

Who knows...it could even be the onboard Intel W10 graphics driver that is buggy.

I've had my 8200 Elite run XP Pro x64, Vista Business, W7 Pro, W8.1 Pro and now W10 Pro working perfectly on each OS.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is a peer to peer forum.

HP maintains no official presence here, so no one can answer any questions regarding HP's plans for releasing new drivers.

I have an 8200 Elite CMT (i7-2600), and mine runs W10 Pro just fine, as does my HP 8000 Elite.  No errors whatsoever.

Both of my PC's have AMD graphics cards (HD6570), so I don't know how they work with the onboard Intel graphics, or any other add on graphics cards.

I installed the latest W7 sata achi controller driver on mine after W10 was finished installing.  I think it was 4 years newer than the one W10 installed natively.

HP Recommended
Thanks. I understand that some machines with NVidia graphics cards had problems originally. What I can't understand is how so many error messages relate to this particular model running Win10 64 bit especially post immediate log on and was wondering if anyone with the same model PC has had similar problems.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Interesting that the models with the nVidia cards are having issues.

A suggestion for you...

Remove the nvidia card, and update to W10 using the onboard Intel graphics.

Before you physically remove the card, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters category, right click on the nVidia graphics card, select uninstall, check the uninstall driver box, and instead of rebooting, shut down the PC and remove the card.

If you give that a try, and W10 works fine, then you have isolated the issue to the video card, and you can then replace it with the AMD Radeon HD 6450 low profile with low profile brackets (or 6350 if you need a dual head card).

As I first replied, my 8200 Elite is running without a hiccup on W10, so I do not think the problem is epidemic.

If running W10 off the onboard graphics still gives problems, unfortunately, I would have no idea what the culprit is.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. I am solely using the Intel(R) HD 2000 onboard graphics chip and only mentioned NVidia graphics as an aside to fault finding on other PC models during the Windows insider programme.

Once again thanks for taking time to answer my query. I will stay with Windows 7 Home Premium for now which works without fault.

The problem could be a multitude of things and I am happy with the way my PC currently runs on windows 7 and want to use my computer for work after an extended period of fault finding on other laptops and PCs with windows 10.

I suspect given that the computer has a new processor, motherboard, latest bios, new paired compatible memory modules, new 1TB WD Hard drive, new DVD combi drive with compatible firmware and that no other PC I have tested with either NVidia, AMD or Intel graphics hardware display similar errors that there is an issue with the way that Win10 accesses memory with this machine and that an update from Intel regarding the Intel(R) Q67 Express Chipset Family is required specifically for Win10 (although it appears that support for Intel(R) HD 2000 graphics for anything above win8 is being phased out). I could spend hours trying to upgrade again and look through windows fault logs but I am happy just using windows 7 and getting on with office related tasks that I placed on the back burner for far too long! Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Maybe try again before the free period expires.

It is possible they will have worked out some bugs and release more updates to W10.

Who knows...it could even be the onboard Intel W10 graphics driver that is buggy.

I've had my 8200 Elite run XP Pro x64, Vista Business, W7 Pro, W8.1 Pro and now W10 Pro working perfectly on each OS.

HP Recommended

Thanks, will leave it a while before re-installing windows 10. Reading your posts I fear it may also be Windows 10 / Intel's  drivers for Intel(R) HD2000 graphics chip. I may try with a SFF ATI card in the near future when I have found one that is compatible with this system's low power output psu.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The AMD Radeon HD 6450 Low profile card was an optional graphics card on the 8200 Elite SFF.

Please see the quickspecs at the link below, page 15.

Asus makes one that is fanless and I think Sapphire does too.  Just make sure the low profile brackets are included in the box if you decide to invest the $40 for an upgraded graphics card.

The 6450 draws less than 30 W.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2Fc04168353.pdf

HP Recommended

The more I read Intel's discussion forums the more issues I see with Intel(R) HD 2000 graphics on 2nd gen processor systems. It does look like they have stopped support for this graphics chip at Windows 8. The No below being support for Win 10.... Just a quick supplementary question... should installing an ATI graphics card solve the error messages I am getting if the new card supports Win 10 or is the HD 2000 graphics chip so integrated with the processor that I am likely to experience similar error messages? Thanks again! (Maybe I should enquire on Intel site also!).

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000

January 2011

Yes4 Yes Yes Yes2 No Sandy Bridge

HP Recommended

Hi:

When you install the graphics card, the onboard graphics is automatically disabled, so it should have no bearing on the operation of the machine with an add on video card.

Make sure before you install the video card that you go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device category, right click on the Intel graphics adapter, select uninstall, and check the uninstall driver box.

Do not reboot the PC as prompted, instead shut it down, unplug it and install the new video card.

I wouldn't be able to guarantee you with 100% assurance that this will completely solve the problem for your particular PC.

But I can assure you that with the AMD graphics card in my 8200 Elite, W10 works perfectly.  I have not had any crashes, blue screens, etc., and I know there are W10 drivers for the HD 6450.  You can either get them from the AMD website, or the W10 windows update tool will automatically download and install the AMD graphics driver.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

Another advantage to having the dedicated graphics card is better graphics performance, and it frees up some system memory that had been going to the onboard Intel GPU.

My particular build 8200 Elite had come with a Radeon HD 6350 dual head graphics card, so I have never run this thing without a graphics card installed.  I removed the card it came with, and upgraded to the HD 6670, because my son wanted a graphics card that powered dual monitors (which the 6350 did), and I wanted a graphics card with HDMI and DVI ports, so that is why I replaced the card.  Then I gave him the original one from this machine.

As a matter of fact, HP put a plastic cap over the VGA out port on the motherboard so that the user didn't connect a monitor to that port.

The cap can be removed of course, but I have never bothered to run this thing off the onboard graphics, and now that you have told me all the issues you are having, I am loathe to do so.

I have not read any other forum posts regarding W10 and our model PC, so I have nothing else to go by but your experience and mine.

I am also running an 8000 Elite CMT with W10 Pro, and it has the AMD Radeon HD 6570 graphics card.  That machine also works perfectly fine on W10 too.

So...the indications seem to point to buggy Intel graphics drivers?  Sounds like it to me.

I guess it is your decision to risk $40 on the hope that adding the graphics card will cure the issues you are having.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.