Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 450-a103nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since last week, when I start up my computer a pop up appears which says: Z: drive almost out of space. I had this problem before with another HP computer and that ended in a complete windows crash when the Z: drive ran out of space.  resulting in a complete new windows installation with a lot of data loss. How can I enlarge the Z: drive or make space on the Z: drive?

See also this link for a pic of the screen:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zs7z8o48xumm8i8/IMG_7018.JPG?dl=0

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

That 'Z:' drive is only 256MB (0.25 GB) in size.  Tiny!

It's actually 256MB of RAM, "borrowed" from the "real" RAM on your computer, and configured to become a "virtual-disk-drive".

Turn your computer off, and it will be deleted.

Note that Other Persons in this forum have reported that Windows Update creates this "virtual" device, and should be deleting it, when the updates are done.

So, there is nothing that you can do to "enlarge" it, because rebooting will "destroy" it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. However, turning the computer off does not solve the problem. I solved this problem with the other computer I had this problem with (after a complete system crash) by formatting the HD and create a bigger Z: partion during the new Windos installation. So in my case it does not seem to be a ''virtual drive''. Furthermore if you start the computer without windows, you can find the partition on your HD.  Also reading the internet's Forums it seems to be an HP computer related problem.

Also when I look at my RAM memory, there is more than enough space at any time, so if it is a virual drive (which I doubt) there is no need to limit to 256Mb.

As a last answer: my computer is completely up to date. There are no updates pending.

Do you have any other suggestions other than waiting for a complete system crash and re-installing Windows?

HP Recommended

> Do you have any other suggestions other than waiting for a complete system crash and re-installing Windows?

Yes. 

Under "Computer Management", start "Disk Management".

Remove the assignment of 'Z:', so that the physical partition is not assigned any drive-letter.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.