Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to reload my Windows 7 operating system and I cannot read the last 5 numbers on the Windows 7 product key on the back of my HP laptop.

I tried some free utilities that read product keys from the registery but they don't match the characters I can read.

Anyone know how to find the key?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@90125

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Here is a utility that should find the product key you need:  https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowKeyPlus6125/ShowKeyPlus.zip

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The product key that ShowKeyPlus displayed, does not match the first 20 characters that I can read on the back of my laptop.

I think the key these free key reading utilites show is the OEM key, used to laod many computers.

Do you know if the ShowKeyPlus key will work on a reload of the operating system from a Recovery CD?

Thanks, I am trying to avoid paying $99.00 for HP to tell me that I am out of luck.

HP Recommended

> I need to reload my Windows 7 operating system

> I cannot read the last 5 numbers on the Windows 7 product key on the back of my HP laptop.

Do you have the original "Windows Installation Media" from HP?

If not, is there a program currently on your 'C:' drive that can be used to create a "System Recovery Set"?

It would write either to an 8GB USB memory-stick, or it would burn a few DVD-recordable disks.

Either way, since both the original media and the user-created "System Recovery Set" have been customized for your HP laptop, it's quite possible that the required product-key is "embedded" in that media, i.e., you will not need to enter a product-key when installing HP software to your HP hardware.

Note that the product-key decal must be used if you install from a "generic" Windows 7 Installation DVD.

If you have any doubts, and you have a "spare" laptop disk-drive, remove your current disk-drive, insert that "spare", and install Windows, to see if it asks for the product-key.

Or .............................................

Since Windows 8 was released on October 26, 2012, this implies that your Windows 7 system was purchased before that date, which implies that your current disk-drive is more than 4 years old.  This implies that your disk-drive is "out-of-warranty". 

So, take this need to reinstall as an opportunity to purchase a new, in-warranty, faster, larger capacity, and maybe SSD, disk-drive, and install Windows onto it.  Then, copy your personal files from "old" to "new".  (You do replace worn-out automobile tires when they get old -- not just waiting until they disasterously "blow".  Correct?)

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

You hit the nail on the head mdklassen! I intend to purchase an SSD (cant remember the type right now) and replace my worn out 5,400 RPM disk drive and reload.

I read some articles on reloading my HP laptop and they all recommend a 32gb thumb drive when using the HP Recovery Media Creation utility that came with this load. Do you recommend a smaller thumb drive?

Also, There were some old articles about NOT using SANDISK thumb drives that say: "Windows 8 Compatible". Apparently there is an HP patch for this but I cannot find it and the articles go back to 2013 or so. Have you ever heard of this?

What SSDs do you like? Some SSDs are industrial grade and those are the type I am looking at. They are very fast and compatible with this laptop, and when the motherboard finally dies I can hopefully use it in my next laptop.

Thanks much!

HP Recommended

> I read some articles on reloading my HP laptop and they all recommend a 32gb thumb drive when using the HP Recovery Media Creation utility that came with this load. Do you recommend a smaller thumb drive?

Given the "reasonable" choices of:

* 8GB -- definitely OK for downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft, but "too small" for an HP system (with all its additional "bundled" software);

* 16GB -- might be enough for HP

* 32GB -- "overkill", but will work "first time" (if you try 16GB and it is not enough, you've wasted your time)

What is the size of the current "recovery partition" on your current disk-drive?

If it is more than 16GB, then go with the 32GB.

My "rule-of-thumb" is to never pay more than $1 per GB for a USB flash-drive.

Watch for "sales", where the price is around $1 per each 2GB.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.