Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario
Microsoft Windows Vista

I turned on my computer and the following happened:

It was recommended I do the disk check to check for consistencies on Disk C, so I did this. No message came up.

Then I went to my home screen and the message "Failed to connect to a windows service" came up. The rest of the message said "Windows could  not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. Prevents some users from logging on. Review the System Event Log."

As I was clicking on various functions on the Start Menu, I clicked on something (I can't remember where) that stated that the "DHCP client service is not running on this computer."

When I attempted to work with a genealogy program called Roots Magic 7, the message "Error on loading Winsock 2 library (WS2_32.DLL)" came up.

My computer keeps on stating that I have no Internet connection even though I contacted my ISP and the representative said my connection was fine on their end and my cables were all secure.

What do I need to do to correct this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Margo1

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you HP computer failed to connect to windows swrvice. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.

• Press Windows Key + S and type Power Options. Choose Power Options from the list. 
  • Click Choose what the power button does. 
  • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. 
  •  Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended). 
  •  Click Save changes.

Then

• Click on Start button. 
  • Type Cmd in the Start Search text box. 
  • Right click on cmd.exe  and Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Allow elevation request. 
  • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key. 
  • Restart the computer. 

Click here and refer the link for further troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Margo1

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you HP computer failed to connect to windows swrvice. I would like to help you out with this issue today.

Click “Repair All” to fix all issues.

• Press Windows Key + S and type Power Options. Choose Power Options from the list. 
  • Click Choose what the power button does. 
  • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. 
  •  Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended). 
  •  Click Save changes.

Then

• Click on Start button. 
  • Type Cmd in the Start Search text box. 
  • Right click on cmd.exe  and Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Allow elevation request. 
  • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key. 
  • Restart the computer. 

Click here and refer the link for further troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the solution! :generic: I actually bought a new Windows 10 computer in between the time I started experiencing the problem and the time I received the solution, so I have some questions I need to ask that could possibly help me in the future with my new computer should I experience problems.

1)What caused this problem to happen in the first place?

2)Does the fact that this Windows Vista computer is not receiving Windows updates anymore have anything to do with the problem?

3)Is there any book that you could recommend that would have software troubleshooting information so that a novice could troubleshoot the problem herself?

HP Recommended

@Margo1

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

1) This an application designed for use by mobile users require a unique set of connectivity functions and notifications. In the past, these individual applications were required to implement these features internally. The System Event Notification Service (SENS) now provides these capabilities in the operating system, creating a uniform connectivity and notification interface for applications. Using SENS developers can determine connection bandwidth and latency information from within their application and optimize the application's operation based on those conditions and is outdated.

2) Yes, it does as mentioned above, it's an obsolete service, considering Microsoft is pushing all users to upgrade to win10 as all other versions will not be supported in the near future.

3) I'm not sure about books, however, here's a link to Using Automated Troubleshooting to learn more about windows and troubleshoot accordingly: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,  

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.