Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (32,375 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows Defender Error code:0x800705b4

I'm trying to turn on Windows Defender on a brand new desktop running Windows 8. When I try to turn it on I get error: 0x800705b4, opertation timed out. What is wrong?

Accepted Solution

Re: Windows Defender Error code:0x800705b4

Aaron,

I found this. 

The fix is for Vista -- I think it is probably useful for Windows 8; so much of Windows 7 was built on Vista and then Windows 8 was built on Windows 7.  The core of the OS is still "in there".

Windows Defender - Fix Unable to Turn On

It is a pretty easy procedure - just remember to run the "command prompt" window as "Administrator".

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Click the Kudos Star to say Thanks!

When it "works",

Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to make it easier for others to find a Solution.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (32,371 Views)

Do you happen to be using Microsoft Security essentials as well?

If so, Turn off Windows Defender. It is already a part of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Best regards,
erico

If you would like to say thanks, just click on the thumbs up icon.

If I have helped you to resolve your issue or answered your question, please click the Options link in the post that helped you and then click on the "Mark as Accepted Solution " button
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (32,366 Views)

This is my first experience with Windows 8 but it is my understanding that Microsoft Security Essentials isn't used anymore? I can't find that MSE is on my computer but this is my first experience with Windows 8 so I could well be wrong.

Thanks,

Aaron

Provost
Message 4 of 7 (32,365 Views)

Aaron,

I found this. 

The fix is for Vista -- I think it is probably useful for Windows 8; so much of Windows 7 was built on Vista and then Windows 8 was built on Windows 7.  The core of the OS is still "in there".

Windows Defender - Fix Unable to Turn On

It is a pretty easy procedure - just remember to run the "command prompt" window as "Administrator".

Click the Kudos Star to say Thanks!

When it "works",

Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to make it easier for others to find a Solution.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (32,356 Views)

Thanks Dragon-Fur, went through it and the last procedure finally fixed my problem. I'm trying to keep an open mind but not having a good start to the Windows 8 experience.

thanks again,

Aaron

Provost
Message 6 of 7 (32,331 Views)

[ Edited ]

Aaron,

An open mind is the most important thing to have with any new project.  Learning a new Operating System can be challenging and I applaud your attitude.  This particular error is unusual -- you were not "lucky" to see it; perhaps it will be the worst of your trials and things will get better from here!

I want to share with you some of the better features in Windows 8 that I have discovered.  You might find something here that you can use -- at the least, you might find something new that you did not know about Windows 8:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

Click the Kudos Star! 

It is a great “Thank You” for the Author's efforts.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (32,156 Views)

Well, that is a nice list of "features" but after over 2 weeks of getting virtually now work done with this garbage operating system I'm going back to my old Windows 7 machine for now. If Micorsoft can't make a better OS than this for the business user my next computer will be a Mac.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation