Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 510- P024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP 510 - P024 does not find my WD 2.0TB Sata /64 cache WD 20Purx  WD Purple surveiillance hard drive. I think I was  close to get a drive assingned for it the other day and I left the page with the info. and I cannot get back to that page . But this is Windows 10 and this is nothing like windows 7 . This is a WD Purple surveillance hard drive . I got this on Ebay in a home security system  I had 3 cameras conected capable of 8  cameras . It had an internal hard drive and it was recording 24/7 and should have been activate on motion.  When it stopped I emailed the seller and he said to take out the hard drive of the metal box and connect it to a working PC with USB and I do this but cannot find it . I have been there where it says to right click and format the device . This is an internal hard drive but I was told to take it out of the metal box and connect it to a working PC by USB and format it .

Maybe somebody can figure this out I cannot . Gene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Genel41, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

You can select search for drivers automatically or select find on the web.

It should find the drivers automatically and install the driver for your device.

Also, Please share the screenshot of error message if the issue still persists.

I'll Watch your reply!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi! @Genel41, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that your PC will not recognize the hard drive.

Is the drive recognized in Device Manager and Disk Management?

It could be a connector issue as it is a SATA drive which is converted into an external drive.

Try the steps recommended below.

Type “troubleshooting” in the search box and open it.
Click on “Configure a device“.
In a pop-up window, click Next and follow the instruction to finish the process.
If it hasn’t solved the problem yet, try to update and fix the driver issues via Device Manager.
Go to Device Manager by pressing Win+R together to open the “Run” dialog, enter devmgmt.msc
Find your external device from the list, (If you see a yellow/red sign appear, probably because the driver has compatibility issues.) right click on the name of the device and select “Update Driver Software…”. Also if there’s any “unknown device” you should update it too.

Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and then follow the instruction to finish the process.

If the issue still persists contact the hard drive vendor for more assistance.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I got to configure a device and it says the PC is set to never install device drivers . I did not see a place to turn it on .

HP Recommended

Please try the steps mentioned below.

Click Start, type devices and printers in the search box, and then click Devices and Printers.
All the devices connected to the computer are listed, including monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, and so on.

Under Devices, right-click the icon for the computer, and then click Device installation settings.
A new window pops up asking you whether you want Windows to download driver software. 

Click to select Yes, Do this automatically.
Click Yes when you are prompted for confirmation.

Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the search box, and then press ENTER. This step opens the Local Group Policy Editor.

(Click Yes if you are prompted.)
Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Device Installation, and then click Device Installation Restrictions. 

In the right window, Allow administrator to override device installation restriction policy.

Click to select Enabled, and then click OK.

Restart the computer.

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I found in MY PC properties and it was turned off I got it turned on now I seem to be at a loss .  At a loss as the PC wants to take outb on the web to find the next move.  I am not sure I can get this done . 

HP Recommended

You can select search for drivers automatically or select find on the web.

It should find the drivers automatically and install the driver for your device.

Also, Please share the screenshot of error message if the issue still persists.

I'll Watch your reply!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well I got it turned on internally but it still does not find the hard drive . From what it shows I should uninstall the  drive for mass storage and reinstall ? Is that what should be done ? Send your instruction to do that and what I should put back in there .  TYhank You Gene

HP Recommended

@Genel41,  Thanks for your response and time.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Open Explorer - right click on Computer - Click Manage 
2. Select Disk Management in left window 
3. In the lower portion of middle window find your external drive (maybe Disk 1). Try disconnecting and reconnecting USB cable to identify if having difficulties. 
4. Right click inside a white rectangular block - Change Drive Letter 
5. Assign a different letter EX:  G Drive

Let me know if this helps!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It only shows drive C and the  the lower portion  and the  CD Rom drive in the lower left . It does not show the Surveillance Purple hard drivre . This has been the problem from the first time I talked about  this problem . It does not show the hard drive in question.  Thank You

HP Recommended

@Genel41

It looks like you were interacting with @MrRobot but he's out for the day 

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

I've gone through the entire conversation and considering you haven't gotten the issue resolved,

perhaps, you should share a snap of what "surveillance purple drive" you're referring to?

That said, if this is a brand new internal drive, you should check the disk management and have the drive formatted, partitioned and assigned a drive letter.

Click here for details on managing the disk management 😉

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.