Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion All in one PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

HP Pavillion All in One PC running Windows 10. Started with an update. Then bubbles, erractic touch screen, turned that off computer still functioned. Then within the month the screen started falling asleep and would have to restart computer to wake it up. Mouse and keyboard grew a mind of their own. Done hard start on computer, work for a minute, sometimes seconds before it would fall asleep or shutdown,not sure which. I started a full recovery but shortly after starting the screen went blank and the power button shut off. I waited 24 hrs before restarting. It will load up but when I click on anything, nothing happens, I know the mouse is working it will highlight an item but when clicked nothing. So I restarted the computer using F11 to do another recovery.It started the process and got over half done, then gave the error message "can't open file : X :\sources\recovery\Tools\HP\Rita-tool\.

Now I have downloaded the sp74124 to disk. The question I have is how do I install from a disk onto a computer that I can not operated. Visually everything is there. I can even see that the internet is connected. But when I click on anything a little circle starts spinning and eventually, less that 20 minutes it shuts down.

I can restart while pushing F11 and get the command prompt screen. Can I install from there? If so how?

ANy help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Trying different software to address the "hardware" problems that you are experiencing is not going to be helpful.

First, see:  http://www.memest.org   to create a "bootable" CD-R that will test the RAM on your computer,

because "failing" RAM can cause many symptoms, such as "unable to read file ...".

Second, it could be your power-supply that it failing, and causing random "shutdown" symptoms.

Third, it could be your disk-drive that is failing.

If you can boot your computer, press the "function-key" to launch the HP Diagnostics, to test the RAM and the disk-drive.

Tell us the results.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.