Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion p7-1047c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I tried to upgrade the machine to Windows 10 and it got stuck. Windows support said because HP for my computer does not have driver for Windows 10 and told me to talk to HP support. I cannot because my machine is not under warranty anymore. Can anyone help ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @KenLau.  This explains the situation fully.

While I am not  an HP employee, only a volunteer, I do know that HP does not have Win 10 drivers for your computer.  They will not be developing Win 10 drivers for older computers.  They only develop Win 10 drivers for computers that come from the factory with it installed or newer models.  I wish that I had better news for you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KenLau, welcome to the forum.

If you have a valid Product Key for Win 10, you should watch this video to see if you can use this method to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10.

Here is a link to the Microsoft Media Migration Tool.

I haven't installed Win 10 using this method.  I wluld appreciate it if you would let me know if it works.

HP Recommended

thanks for the suggestion.

Here is my full story:

Back in Summer, Microsoft was offering free upgrade from Win 7 to 10 free of charge. I upgraded it and I was using it since then with no problem. A few days ago, my computer crashed  because of some issues and I needed to reset to the factory setting using the recovery disk. That's how I reverted back to Win 7.  Then I called Microsoft trying to restore my OS to Win 10.

The Microsoft tech used exactly this method (Media Migration Tool) to do the download and upgrade to Win 10. Since it could take a while, so she ended the chat and ensured me it will be completed with no problem.

However, it took a whole day and I was stuck at 99% completion. 

So I called them again and this time the tech looked into my computer and found out it is not compatible to Win 10. It is only for Win 7 & 8, and told me to talk to HP for new drivers for Win 10. So I asked him why it was working fine before but not now. He said the free upgrade before has built in univeral drivers and the upgrade version they have now is different.  That's why my machine could upgrade to Win10 even thought it is not compatible for Win10.

I can't call HP for help because my machine is not under warranty.

I can't find anywhere HP has the Win 10 drivers for my machine model.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @KenLau.  This explains the situation fully.

While I am not  an HP employee, only a volunteer, I do know that HP does not have Win 10 drivers for your computer.  They will not be developing Win 10 drivers for older computers.  They only develop Win 10 drivers for computers that come from the factory with it installed or newer models.  I wish that I had better news for you.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

thank so much. I guess I have to computing with Windows 7.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @KenLau.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.