Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elite 8300 CMT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all.

Before I continue, I would like to thank any and all responses in advance.

I would like to update my Bios.My current bios version is K01 V02.05. I am currently running Windows 10 and as I understand it, None of the Bios releases for the Elite 8300 are supported by Windows 10. If that is correct then I would have to install the correct OS version to coincide with the Bios I am installing. Depending on how these bios updates must done this could be a very tedious process.  I would like to update to a UEFI bois. After searching through the support forum I read that this is any version 8 bios or after. There are many bios updates for the 8300 and one is a version 8 bios. It is listed as version 8.1.57.1556A (sp69775.exe). Please correct me if any of the previous is wrong.

First question is can I choose any applicable Bios update for my specific PC (most recent or preffered) or must I update the bios sequentially, in order of release, until I reach the desired Bios update? In other words can I go directly to this bios or must I install all bioses before this one in order?

Any thoughts and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

sp69775.exe is not a BIOS update.

It updates the Intel Management Engine firmware to version 8.1.57.1556, and has nothing to do with the BIOS not supporting a modern video card.

I do not recommend that you install that update. 

I have read where many folks try to update the IME firmware, and then it messes up the PC.

The HP article you read about the BIOS versions refers to HP consumer desktop PC's.

However, going from v02.99 to v03.xx may have the equivalent result.

Since you have already have the worst case scenario with your current BIOS of the slow restart, you may want to go to version v02.99, and then to v03.04 and see if your video card works with that revision.

If you don't use bitlocker, you can just hide the TPM device in the security menu, and the PC should restart as normal.

Use the method I outlined above to update the BIOS to v03.03 or v03.04.

Maybe v03.03 will not have that boot delay.

Some other forum member with an 8200 Elite had the same issue as you did with the reboot delay on W10 with an older BIOS revision.

All I can say is v2.28 has no ill effects whatsoever on the 8200 Elite's running W10.

In any event, your video card working or not working, won't matter which v03.xx BIOS update you try.

Since the v03.xx is a totally new BIOS revision path, it may allow the video card to work, or it may not.

But the v03.xx BIOS revision would be the only hope you have of a newer video card working.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimboj

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

Yes, your PC does not officially support Windows 10. It is an old model and only supports (officially) Windows XP, Vista and 7. Best runs with Windows 7. Windows 10 has been released after the PC was produced.

You cannot bring UEFI to the BIOS just like that.

What is BIOS, what is UEFI:

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/htg-explains-how-uefi-will-replace-the-bios/

Personally, I do not recommend you update BIOS unless you experience some specific issues with your existing BIOS and you are sure that the new BIOS will fix it. If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Updating just for updaing and just for using the latest verson is not solution. Any kind of update (no matter for what and who relesed it) can fix 2 issues but may introduce 10 more issues. Additionally, upgrading the BIOS (for any vendor) poses more risks because BIOS recovery is not that easy as compared to typical software updates IF something goes wrong.

Same applies for Windows Updates, OS update, drivers updates, etc - upgrade/update IF you have issues which you know are fixed in the newer version or for some severe security issues. Otherwise, keep the existing version as long as possible.

Therefore, if your Windows 10 works fine now and if BIOS is OK, don't touch it 🙂

** If you insist on updating the BIOS, here are the official instructions >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682

You should run supported OS and you can upgrade directly to the latest (desired) version.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

" I would like to update to a UEFI bois." 

Ahh, sorry, No.

If a PC has a legacy BIOS, then updating to a UEFI BIOS is not viable.

It is, unfortunately, a matter of PC or notebook either having a modern UEFI BIOS or it not.

Updating the BIOS for an older generation PC can be risky.

By risky, I mean that you can turn it into a device with the response and value of a brick.

You probably wouldn't want that to happen.

If you are willing to take the risk it is best to do it it the OS that the version is for.  

Your PC has had no updates since Windows 7 was the latest and greatest. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, @Jimboj :

Yes, you can update the BIOS when using any operating system you want on your PC.

What you do is to use the F10 DOS based BIOS flash method.

First of all, in order to upgrade to the version 03.xx BIOS revisions, you need to update to v02.99

Flashing the BIOS...

Format a USB flash drive with the FAT 32 file system.  That is very important to format the flash drive with the right file system.

Download and save, but do not run (sp73099).  That is the v02.99 file.

Use this free tool to unzip the HP BIOS download (sp73099)

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the sp73099 BIOS update file you downloaded and saved.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name.

Once that is done, open the folder 7-Zip created, and copy only the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your FAT32- formatted USB flash drive.

Before you update the BIOS, it is normally a good practice to disconnect everything hooked up to the PC except the keyboard, mouse, monitor and the usb flash drive with the DOS BIOS flash files on it.

So, shut down the PC and remove anything connected to the PC except the above items.

Once you have done that...

Turn on the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File menu>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive and the PC should now see the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Then you can do the same thing for any additional BIOS file ou want to update to.

However, I do agree with the other two folks that replied to your post...there could be risks.

For example...on the 8200 Elites running W10, if the BIOS is flashed to the latest version, the restart time hangs for up to 2 minutes.  There is a fix, but the fix would prevent users from running Bitlocker encryption.

See this discussion.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Compaq-8200-Elit...

My intention here was to let you know that updating the BIOS is easy on any HP dc7xxx, and 8xxx Elite business desktop PC, and can be done without regard to what operating system you are using.

Having been given all of the foregoing information, you can decide for yourself whether or not you want to update the BIOS, and what version you want to update it to.

I am running W10 on my 8200 Elite CMT, and flashed the BIOS to v2.28 and the PC works fine.

I just won't install v2.29 for obvious reasons.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico. Thanks for the reply!

I should probably explain better. I did not mean to say update to a UEFI bios but a bios with better UEFI support. Sorry.

I am having issues with upgrading the video card. Newer generation cards seem to support UEFI more than Bios and so My current Bios does not support the video card I have. However after much reading on this forum it seems some bioses(version 8.xxx)have better support for these "UEFI" cards. After reading this topic    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200  I discovered that there is a single Bios update for the elite 8300 PC"s listed as Version 8.1.57.1556A (sp69775.exe). It is a version 8 which should support the card, but the bios is listed as supported by win 7/8. 

Will I need to go back to windows 7 or 8 from the current win10 to install this bios, and then back to win 10? also, can I go directly to this bios or must I install all previos bios updates in order up to the version 8 release?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi Paul! Thanks for the reply!

I have read about the delayed restart associated with 2.99! For some reason I have the issue currently and on only 2.05. Must be something to do with windows 10 on this old machine. 

I should probably explain better. I did not mean to say update to a UEFI bios but a bios with better UEFI support. Sorry.

I am having issues with upgrading the video card. Newer generation cards seem to support UEFI more than Bios and so My current Bios does not support the video card I have. However after much reading on this forum it seems some bioses(version 8.xxx)have better support for these "UEFI" cards. After reading this topic    http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200  I discovered that there is a single Bios update for the elite 8300 PC"s listed as Version 8.1.57.1556A (sp69775.exe). It is a version 8 which should support the card, but the bios is listed as supported by win 7/8. 

If I do as you say and flash through the bios update option in the bios config menu,  can I go directly to this bios or must I install all previos bios updates in order up to the version 8 release?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

sp69775.exe is not a BIOS update.

It updates the Intel Management Engine firmware to version 8.1.57.1556, and has nothing to do with the BIOS not supporting a modern video card.

I do not recommend that you install that update. 

I have read where many folks try to update the IME firmware, and then it messes up the PC.

The HP article you read about the BIOS versions refers to HP consumer desktop PC's.

However, going from v02.99 to v03.xx may have the equivalent result.

Since you have already have the worst case scenario with your current BIOS of the slow restart, you may want to go to version v02.99, and then to v03.04 and see if your video card works with that revision.

If you don't use bitlocker, you can just hide the TPM device in the security menu, and the PC should restart as normal.

Use the method I outlined above to update the BIOS to v03.03 or v03.04.

Maybe v03.03 will not have that boot delay.

Some other forum member with an 8200 Elite had the same issue as you did with the reboot delay on W10 with an older BIOS revision.

All I can say is v2.28 has no ill effects whatsoever on the 8200 Elite's running W10.

In any event, your video card working or not working, won't matter which v03.xx BIOS update you try.

Since the v03.xx is a totally new BIOS revision path, it may allow the video card to work, or it may not.

But the v03.xx BIOS revision would be the only hope you have of a newer video card working.

HP Recommended
Thanks to all that took the time to help answer my questions. Special thanks to Paul_Tikkanen for you thorough responses. I really appreciate the time you take your cover everything discussed. As well as actually reading my post completely and answering all my questions. I will use the procedure you suggested and update directly to 2.29 and then directly to 3.04. I will reply back here with the results.
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You meant to write v02.99, correct?

v2.29 is for the 8200 Elite model series, not the 8300 Elites.

HP Recommended

Is your system down>? (has unstated problems?) please advise us. thanks.

you updated to windows 10 even though HP  advises, otherwise, see your 8300 support page, see any w10 there

no. sorry....

so many HP apps and software may be failing or doing wrong  things. some can be dangerous to run, like the HP

secuirty suite ,etc or worse using encryption,...using wrong OS.

ok as a general rule.

1: if its not broke dont fix it?

2; if BIOS is ok, leave at alone,  !! (read the release notes, gee some patches are only for faster CPUs you dont have)

3: if you  flash any BIOS your risk bricking the MOBO,  many have, all for no gain.  nothing wrong, flashed it and its now

time to buy  a new MOBO.... RISK IS REAL.

4: Not withstanding ,im running w10 on an Elite book 2010 made, and runs great, but not with the security package, it fails.

and is not supported, but I took that risk (only time, lost) 

keep in mind,the full suite of HP w7 software,  maybe useful to you, as does many, (see them?)

Some may fail on w10,  in fact many do, on mine, but lucky me, the dead onces I dont need.

5: what if you upgrade(down it is) and then find out the top key switches are dead, and the driver for it is dead.

then what? (you have 30 days to regress to w7)

risk.

IMO.... done many...

no one here told you, that BIOS must match W10

where did you hear that rumor?

heck that bios even runs on LINUX.

why change any BIOS, unless the release doc, told you it solves a problem you have? why?

Best is to leave BIOS alone, unless someone told you at HP that it needs changing, for sure.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.