Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I installed windows10 on a PC with windows 8.1 and now have no sound.  Do I need to download new drivers?  ?????  Thanks for your help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

This could be one of a few different issues. First, let's check your drivers. 

• Open Start, enter Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

• If those steps didn't work, try uninstalling your audio driver: open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the audio driver, and select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• If that didn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

If you're still having issues after attempting these methods, let's try running the audio troubleshooter

Keep me posted on your results!

I am a Microsoft employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello,

This could be one of a few different issues. First, let's check your drivers. 

• Open Start, enter Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Sound, video, and game controllers, select your sound card, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

• If those steps didn't work, try uninstalling your audio driver: open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the audio driver, and select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• If that didn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) your audio driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select High Definition Audio Device, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

If you're still having issues after attempting these methods, let's try running the audio troubleshooter

Keep me posted on your results!

HP Recommended

Hi

Please follow the below link as per your PC

ENTER THE PRODUCT NO.  on search bar and download accordingly

For LAPTOPS

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-002&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=321957&h_page=hpcom&...

For DESKTOPS

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-002&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=12454&h_page=hpcom&c...

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the thumps Up icon Click Accept as Solution if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
I am an HP employee and I am proud to help you 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks So VERY Much!  I now have sound.  I had to delete the driver and startup again.  Not the great sound I had with 8.1 but I'm happy!!!!!

HP Recommended

I'm so glad to hear your sound is working now! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

HP Recommended

HP do not supply any Windows 10 drivers for my Pavilion 500-141ea through their website! But I downloaded the HP Support Assistant and downloaded and installed the Realtek USB card reader 5145 Driver 64 bit update from there. But still no sound! 

I had the same probelm last time I reset my PC on 13 Oct 2016 and I believe I just installed the IDT High def audio driver sp62736 then and my sound worked fine again. But I have tried that this time but Windows could not install it 😞

I have run Windows sound troubleshooter AND HP's sound troubleshooter and neither of them have found the solution! Now I am even getting confused as to which port to plug my Logitech speaker should be plugged into 😕 I am almost certain that it should be plugged into the green coloured port but ...... ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.