Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6719c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Ahem.....I got myself into a bit of bother, trying to fix slow response with accessing my file directory when saving new files in MS Word, then with slow response accessing files in Windows Explorer. This led to my:

- adding a registry key to force refresh for Windows Explorer,

- turning off all third party shell extensions

- and seeing that at one stage I noticed that my latest Windows update was not completed properly, I later uninstalled it (KB4013429 (OS Build 14393.953).

Upon rebooting my machine I got the blue screen of death with the error message 221 for ntoskrnl.exe, and Windows needed to be repaired.

The repair disk that I made after buying the machine back in 2011 is Windows 7, as I did the Windows 10 upgrade.

I received two sorts of advice from computer savvy friends. One was to make and use a Windows 10 repair disk. The other was to use my Windows 7 repair disk, as it has my product key in it.

Using my laptop computer, I eventually decided to go with making a Windows 10 recovery drive, and found that my BIOS doesn't recognize USB devices.

I then managed to get the old external DVD drive operational and made a repair DVD disk. However, when I tried to boot with it i got the message Non-system Disk error.

What are my options now?

Should I retry making the Windows 10 repair disk only to have possibly wasted another DVD?

Would making a Windows 10 installation disk work?

Do I have to use my Windows 7 repair disk?

Or is there something else I could try?

I would prefer not to have to go back to Windows 7 if I can help it. Also I would prefer not to lose any data.

But ...

I would like to get my desktop working again as printing, scanning and accessing data on my external hard drive aren't functioning on the laptop.

Thank you to those who read this far...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, Microsoft pushed "Windows Live Essentials" to its "sunset" in January 2017.

But, see: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_live.html

for a 134MB download of "Windows Live Essentials 2012".

> Maybe I should reinstall Windows 7 and upgrade?

No.  Windows Live Essentials has also been removed from the Windows Update repository.

> I tried to send a message with Thunderbird, and it failed with invalid password. 

Most ISPs do not require a password when sending E-mail -- only when "checking for new E-mail".

Contact your ISP's support for the proper configuration for sending E-mail through their mail-servers.

>  printer drives for my laser printer ...

If Windows supports the printer, it should automatically download and install the device-drivers, the first time that you plug-in the USB cable that connects to the printer.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Usually if your computer fails to boot several times, Windows 10 will automatically bring up the advanced startup options, which allows you to troubleshoot and fix it. Refresh your PC would be an option- or under Advanced Options would offer System Restore to restore settings you changed.

Creating a Windows 10 dvd could also be done using the free Media Creation Tool from MS:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

> found that my BIOS doesn't recognize USB devices.

Your 2011-vintage computer: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02743386

I would expect that you can configure it to boot from USB.

Turn the computer off.

Connect the USB memory-stick.

Turn the computer on, and enter BIOS SETUP.

In the "boot" options, is there a section for "hard-drive group" and "optical devices group" ?

In the "hard-drive group", are both your disk-drive and your USB drive listed?

Can you manipulate this group, to put the USB drive as the "first" device in the group?

Then, if your computer is configured to first try to boot from the "hard-drive group", it should try to boot from the USB device.

Can your laptop boot (at least part-way) from that USB memory-stick, just to show that it is functional?

> I then managed to get the old external DVD drive operational and made a repair DVD disk.

> However, when I tried to boot with it i got the message Non-system Disk error.

Can your laptop boot from the media, either from the internal optical drive, or from your external optical drive?

HP Recommended

@mdklassen - thanks for your response.

When I tried booting with the USB memory stick, there were only 4 options in the boot screen:

CD-DVD drive

Hard Disk (showed only my C drive)

Floppy disk (not available) and

Network device (showed my RealTek ..... )

I have not yet tried out your suggestion of booting partway with the memory stick or the DVD on the laptop, but will try to give it a go later on in the evening before bedtime.

Sheryll

HP Recommended

@mdklassen - I found the problem with the repair dvd - it needed to be formatted. I put in a second one, killed off the creation program, formatted it and thenreran  the repair dvd creation program.

I then chose the recovery option (F11) when booting, and it took me to a page called Recovery Manager. I now have some options:

1. Click on File backup program (sounds like a good idea to back up my files as I have not been able  to access on the laptop any files on my external hard drive which I used as backup.)

2. Click on System restore. (could possibly work if I did a system restore before uninstalling the WIndows update or updating the registry, I cannot be sure now that I did one though. In any case, I was not happy with my computer at that time so a system restore may not get rid of the original problem).

3. Click on Microsoft Startup Repair tool, and

4. Click on System Recovery

Sheryll

HP Recommended

I have opted for backing up my files... Will give you an update in the morning. Thanks.

HP Recommended

> Click on System restore. (could possibly work if I did a system restore before uninstalling the WIndows update

Windows Update does take a checkpoint before applying updates.

Also, System Restore will list all the available checkpoints, so that you can make a choice.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your advice re system restore.

Well, to mix metaphors, a lot of water has passed under the bridge since I last posted. But I really haven't got very far (2 steps backwards, 2 steps forwards).

Backup didn't work as I didn;t have enough space on:

my externall hard drive',

my DVD,

my usb chip

OR

my laptop backup external  hard drive

Instead ot deleting or reformatting to make room I tried my husband's backup external hard drive, It had a terabyte free. Backup still failed with the same error.

So I was glad I didn't delete or reformat the other drives.

In the course of trying all this, I found that I hadd  inadvertently made a  recovery drive out of my backup external hard disk drive. !!! That deserves a thread in itself. I am gathering from other threads that I need to "make simple volume" in Disk Management to get my space back, as currently Windows thinks it is only 32 gb, wich is what the Recovery partition has.

I also managed to cream the dvd which i used to boot the computer.

Aftere failing to make another dvd recovery disk, I stumbled on the possibility of  getting a usb boot device working. I created a  recovery usb drive and booted with that and it worked!

This didn't take me to HPs recivery manager, but a blue screen with windows options. I tried nearly all of them. There was no Backup option, so I tried system restore (no SR points available), repair (couldn't repair), and eventually I used theh lat one which was to turn the PC off.

Now I am makinig a Windows 10 installation USB chip, which is going a lot better than the last time I tried that.Tomorrow i will try to get back to that options screen and use the installation chip.

Sheryll

HP Recommended

Well, I have made a little progress, but appear to be nowhere near solving the problem.

I successfully created the Windows installation USB drive.

I was able to boot with it and tried repair, but haven't been able to as yet.

Most threads with ntoskrnl problems recommend using bootrec and a couple of other programs through the Command Prompt option. '

I have tried doing

bootrec  /rebuildbcd, (get 0 installations found),

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

then rebooting with the computer's hard drive only to get back to the blue error screen.

I have exported the bcd and renamed it after removing the hidden, system and readonly attributes.

Then I rebuilt the bcd, but after rebooting I still have the blue error screen.

chkdsk of C: and 😧 come back clear.

If I can come up with a way to fix ntoskrnl.exe, then that would be great.

Could I use my laptop copy of it? It is Windows 10 64 bit as well...

What about a copy from some else's desktop (say, a more powerful Pavilion).

Grasping at straws here but I don't want to lose my data or have to install Windows 10 if I can help it.

HP Recommended

>  I don't want to lose my data or have to install Windows 10 if I can help it.

It is good that CHKDSK reports no problem.

This suggests that the files on your disk-drive are OK, even though the (few) files that are necessary to boot into Windows are somehow corrupted.

So, if it were my computer, I would buy a new disk-drive, and install Windows onto it.

[Having a new disk-drive to replace a possibly out-of-warranty disk-drive is a good thing.]

Then, I would attach the current disk-drive as a "slave" disk-drive, and copy all the personal files/bookmarks onto the new disk-drive.

Depending on the total size of the personal files, the new disk-drive might be a SSD (solid state device), rather than a "spinning" disk-drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.