Question

Teacher
filgrastin
Message 1 of 2 (1,235 Views)

AUDIO DISAPPEARED ON MY COMPUTER

I have Windows 7 64 bit and my sound has suddenly disappeared.  I am still under warranty but before I call HP can someone give me some suggestions as to how to reinstall the audio driver?  Thanks and also thank you for all of your wonderful advice in the past.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 2 (1,231 Views)

Re: AUDIO DISAPPEARED ON MY COMPUTER

Hi,

One of the first things I'd try is to run Windows System Restore.  If you have Norton Internet Security installed, you will need to disable Nortons Tamper Protection as shown in Step 2, on the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20091112171719EN&ln=en_US

Once you've done this, shut down the PC.  Windows System Restore is usaully best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the PC to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point at least 24 hours before the Audio problem and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

If the above solves the problem, open windows Control Panel and open Windows Update.  Click the Check for updates link and if you see any drivers for you audio device being offered, right click it and select 'Hide Update' to prevent it being applied again.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation