Brand new Pavillion Slimline Windows 7 - audio distorted - Realtek HD drivers not working? (2649 Views)
Honor Student
jfish1000
Message 1 of 7 (2,649 Views)

Brand new Pavillion Slimline Windows 7 - audio distorted - Realtek HD drivers not working?

Just got a brand new Windows 7 box - HP Pavillion slimline

the audio is distorted - you especially hear it when using the CPU - so if I'm playing a track in iTunes, and i open my Chrome browser with 5 tabs, I get a ton of distortion in the audio.

This distortion is regardless of output - external speakers or headphones.

And regardless of program - itunes, WMP, etc.

I have tried installing older and newer versions of the Realtek HD driver from the HP site, and the latest windows 7 version from the Realtek site to no avail.

I have also tried running the latest Realtek driver from their site in compatibility mode for Windows Vista SP2 - no good.

What can I do to solve this?? I called HP tech support and they have no other ideas! Help!

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 7 (2,644 Views)

Re: Brand new Pavillion Slimline Windows 7 - audio distorted - Realtek HD drivers not working?

This might be due to insufficient resources...here is a document that helps to improve the resource utilization of the unit:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01817290&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

This will improve your system performance and also resolves the sound distortion issue.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 3 of 7 (2,600 Views)

Re: Brand new Pavillion Slimline Windows 7 - audio distorted - Realtek HD drivers not working?

Honor Student
jfish1000
Message 4 of 7 (2,524 Views)

hi, i was out of town and could not respond until now

the model is s5210t

this is not a problem with system resources, this happens after bootup with nothing running but a media player and a browser.

i tried running your patch and it just hangs with 'please wait...update in progress...' and a scrolling status bar - it won't complete install.

what do i do?

Honor Student
johnny3232
Message 5 of 7 (2,301 Views)

I have registered only to help you hehe. I uninstalled NORTON ANTIVIRUS and all my sound problems disappeared like MAGIC :smileyvery-happy: Try it!

Top Student
hchavezlopez
Message 6 of 7 (2,010 Views)

I had a similar problem with my Slimline s5330la with Win7.  It started as soon as I took it out of the box.  Any media file sounds distorted with a very annoying intermitent "buzz".  Updating the BIOS (to V5.07) and reinstalling the Realtek HD Audio driver didn't help.  HP support changed the machine (it was 2 days old) and sent me a brand new one........with the SAME problem!!!!!!  I just installed it and it has the same distortion.  I've been on the phone with HP support and they have no clue on what is happening. 

I suspected that it was not a "sound" problem since when a song was being played with the HP MediaSmart program and the title of the song appeared on the screen, the name of the song "jumps" and "freezes" at the same time as the distortion appears as if the machine got some kind of interference.

After checking the latency of my PC with "DCP Latency Checker" (www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) I realized that the problem was not the sound driver but the wireless driver.  

Disabiling the 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card Lan Adapter "corrects" the problem.  This was not a solution given what without that driver you are off-line! However, at least it was more clear what the problem was.  

I had version 3.0.1.0 (19/05/2009) of the driver by Ralink Technology.  

HP has no updated driver for that component on their website but I found newer driver on RALINKTECH web.

I downloaded the 3.1.0.0 version from www.ralinktech.com.   Installed it and the problem was solved.

Good luck.

Honor Student
thepositron
Message 7 of 7 (1,882 Views)

Thanks hchavezlopez.

I bought a new HP Pavilion DM3 1112 a month ago and had the same problem with sound distortion.  I changed the machine at the retailer in 2 days only to find the problem was still there.   I've been messing with codecs, audio drivers etc for a month now with no success.  I tried your idea of downloading the dpc latency checker which showed a driver problem.  When I disabled the Atheros WiFi adapter the dpc latency checker was happy.  I then managed to get an updated driver package from the HP site and dpc latency checker was fine - and (so far) all is well with my sound!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation