Question

Honor Student
draining12
Message 1 of 10 (4,885 Views)

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, CRACKY SOUNDS WHILE PLAYING MUSIC or watching video.

Hi, my speakers recently have been cracking A LOT frequently while I watch a video or listen to music. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium, my speakers are Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, and i'm on a Gateway laptop. Usually, when im listening to YouTube music the sound constantly cracks, it ruins the music. When I first bought my laptop, it didn't crack like this. It used to be very clear, and clean. Now it just cracks every now and again. It may be a CPU Usage overdose problem, but I'm not sure. I have Avast! home antivirus and Malwarebytes' Anti Malware with protection module enabled. These are pretty much the start up programs and that run on my laptop. My Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 driver is currently on version 4.75.0.0. It says it's working properly, theres a green checked mark near the speaker icon. Thanks everyone for reading and any help would be highly appreciated :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 2 of 10 (4,844 Views)

Re: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, CRACKY SOUNDS WHILE PLAYING MUSIC or watching video.

Does this happen only when listening to online music / video?

Do you get this crackling even with headphones or externally connected speakers?

Have you gone to the Gateway website and checked for more recent audio drivers?

Use the Control Panel 'Sound' applet to adjust your various audio properties.

You can also try the link below where Microsoft has some tips and a sound diagnostic.

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

Tips for Common Sound Problems

:smileywink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on KUDO'S.

Honor Student
draining12
Message 3 of 10 (4,836 Views)

Re: Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, CRACKY SOUNDS WHILE PLAYING MUSIC or watching video.

No it usually happens with almost any sound/video that occurs. And I tried updating my driver through Control Panel - Audio and Sound - Drivers,  but everything but "Driver Details" is grey and cannot be clicked. Heres a screenshot :

http://i48.tinypic.com/10zn6u1.jpg

Also, this is weird but on Youtube videos, after I watch the full video once and replay the video for a SECOND time the cracking stops. For youtube videos that is, the first time I watch it, it cracks. The second it does not.

I have DO NOT REMEMBER HISTORY for my Firefox, should I make it remember history?

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 4 of 10 (4,819 Views)

Try to update your current drivers via Device Manager. Type: devmgmt.msc  in your Start menu search box and hit enter. Go to and expand "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" . Right click on 'Conexant HD Audio' and choose 'Update Driver Software'.

Again I suggest you check the Gateway website for either more recent audio drivers or chipset drivers since intergrated audio drivers are often bundled in with the chipset drivers. Here's the link.

Gateway Driver Downloads 

It also sounds like it could be a bandwidth issue since you say the first time a video plays it crackles and the second time it doesn't. This would be because once you've played the vid it is cached to your hard drive and doesn't have to be downloaded or buffered again. Try using an ethernet connection instead of wireless to see if it improves.

Also, in control panel Sound applet try disabling or changing the various settings in the Enhancements tab.

Hope one of these suggestions work.

:smileywink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on KUDO'S.

Honor Student
draining12
Message 5 of 10 (4,774 Views)

Ok I tried updating it, there were no updates available for it. Also, no Gateway driver downloads. I don't use wireless connection to my laptop, I connect it with the plug. Thanks very much for helping though :smileyhappy: It still doesn't improve until after I replay the video. Any more ideas? :smileyvery-happy:

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 6 of 10 (4,766 Views)

I'm just about out of ideas. :smileysad:

Update your Media Player to the newest version.

Windows Media Player 12 for W7

You can try updating your video codecs.

FFdshow is the best all in one I know of.

Here's the download link.

FFdshow Video Codecs

You can also try a different Media Player and see if things improve.

VLC is one of the best open source (free) media players.

Here's the download link.

VLC Medio Player

Honor Student
draining12
Message 7 of 10 (4,726 Views)

Will updating those really help? The cracking only happens during a Youtube video, for the first time watching it. I also have VLC media player already. Thanks for trying to help though :smileyhappy: Maybe I should try blowing into the holes that release sound out of my laptop? or something?

Grad Student
y2ken
Message 8 of 10 (4,708 Views)

Updating the audio drivers is likely your best chance for success. The other suggestions certainly won't hurt.

It's also possible that you may have 'blown' your speakers from playing them too loud. (?)

You can try using a Live Ubuntu disk to determine wether it's an operating system issue or a hardware issue.

Ubuntu is a full, free operating system (linux) on a bootable DVD. If you don't experience any sound issues while using Ubuntu then you'll know it's a Windows issue and not a hardware issue. Just put it in your DVD drive and boot your PC (use the boot menu to designate your DVD drive as the boot device) and this will lauch the live DVD.

Here's the link for the Ubuntu download: You'll have to burn the .iso image to a DVD

(You can also request a free DVD but it'll take at least a few weeks to receive it.)

Ubuntu Live CD

Well, that's it. I'm officially out of ideas. Sorry none of them seems to have worked out for you. :smileysad:

Student
thinkbaz
Message 9 of 10 (4,516 Views)

I already tried Ubuntu.  It is an operating system issue.  In other words, no noise was heard on the Ubuntu system using audacious.  FYI...

Tutor
hchavezlopez
Message 10 of 10 (4,217 Views)

I had a similar problem with my Slimline s5330la with Win7. It started as soon as I took it out of the box. Any media file sounds distorted with a very annoying intermitent "buzz". Updating the BIOS (to V5.07) and reinstalling the Realtek HD Audio driver didn't help. HP support changed the machine (it was 2 days old) and sent me a brand new one........with the SAME problem!!!!!! I just installed it and it has the same distortion. I've been on the phone with HP support and they have no clue on what is happening.

I suspected that it was not a "sound" problem since when a song is being played with the HP MediaSmart program and the title of the song appears on the screen, the name of the song "jumps" and "freezes" at the same time as the distortion appears as if the machine got some kind of interference.

After checking the latency of my PC with "DCP Latency Checker" (www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml) I realized that the problem was not the sound driver but the WIRELESS DRIVER. Disabiling the 802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card Lan Adapter "corrects" the problem. This was not a solution given what without that driver you are off-line! However, at least it is more clear what the problem was.

I had version 3.0.1.0 (19/05/2009) of the driver by Ralink Technology. HP has no updated driver for that component on their website but I found newer driver on RALINKTECH web. I downloaded the 3.1.0.0 version from www.ralinktech.com. Installed it and the problem was solved.

BOTTOMLINE:  After updating your audio drivers also updated your WIRELESS DRIVERS, as they might be the ones causing the problem.  

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation