Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have this problem with my desktop ( Model a6700y), everything was working perfect, but suddenly the computer froze, when I restarted it I saw this message: 

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I have already tried the F10 and F5 procedure (Boot restore to original) , same message came.

I unplugged also the power cord and press for 5 seconds the power thing, same message came.

There are no CD's, usb drives, etc, just the mouse, the keyboard and the monitor.

Please, I really need help, I use the computer for school projects.

What should I do?, I don't want to open the case because I'm still under the HP 1 year warranty. I got this desktop this year, during Feb.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi TheRammstein,

There could be a few things going on here. One is that there is a known issue with Seagate drives where an error like yours can appear. Here is the HP support document regarding that issue: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01676224

Another thing could be that your Hard Drive has failed, or that the cables connecting it to the motherboard have come loose. To check this, disconnect your PC from the power outlet, then open your PC and disconnect the cables from the hard drive. Wait a minute, and then plug the cables back in making sure they are firmly connected, close the PC and then try turning it on again.

To assist you in opening the PC and unplugging the hard drive, here is an HP support document with step by step instructions and video on how to add or replace a hard drive o....

Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

HP phone support should be able to help witht this. Common issue with some HP pcs regardless or model.

As said, either BIOS needs to be reset, boot order changed or hard drive cables checked. Maybe a cable came out loose.

Try below.

You may have a bad hard drive or BIOS settings need to be reset.

Try these steps.

1) Reboot the pc and go into F10 for setup (for vista) or F1 (for xp pcs).

Check under the MAIN tab to make sure your hard drive is recognized.

It should something like WDC, SAMSUNG, ST...etc

a) If it's not under the list then check the IDE/SATA cable and power cables inside your computer to make sure it's plugged in both ends properly and reseat.

b) If it's listed then go on to step 2.

2) Press F5 then yes then enter, then F10 then yes, then enter to restore BIOS defaults.

3) After reboot go back to the BIOS menu and go to right on the BOOT tab, and choose BOOT DEVICE PRIORITY and set the 1st boot device to HDD group then save changes and exit the BIOS.

You can also turn on the pc and press ESC to boot from the hard drive or hdd drive.

If the hard drive still isn't recognized even after reasetting the cables inside your computer, than the hard drive might be defective and HP can replace that.

HP Recommended

If I reset, will my photos on my hard drive be deleted? I am really worried about my photos being deleted because I am a photographer and I have photos I have yet to return to my clients.

HP Recommended

Resetting the BIOS settings will NOT delete anything from your hard drive.

BIOS information is normally stored int ROM BIOS chip on your motherboard.

What you could also do is take out that hard drive and place it in another desktop computer and copy over your personal documents and picture just in case as backup.

HP Recommended

You may have a bad hard drive or BIOS settings need to be reset.

HP Recommended

My device hp v115 is not operating it will not open i try to format but the cumputer said is not completely format and the cumputer said i must insert a disk in my hp i really need your help i love my hp device

HP Recommended

Re: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

HP Recommended

help i dont know wat to do?

HP Recommended

The same thing happend to me it was a gift im afraid to open it. Is there any other solutions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.