Question

Honor Student
vickirogers1
Message 1 of 12 (10,613 Views)

Echo sound from speakers

Hi. I'm a computer novice but the sound situation from my PC is driving me mad so I'm hoping someone here can help :smileyhappy: I have an HP Pavilion a1525a running Windows XP. The sound used to be fine. Then it suddenly started being 'echoey' and it sounds like the person you're speaking to is in a submarine or toilet! We have Logitech speakers but they are not the problem as we get the same echo effect from the Genius speakers we tried. I have uninstalled the Realtek driver and rebooted the PC but the problem remains. Could it be something to do with the Legacy driver? Not sure what the Legacy driver is (maybe the in-built driver or something?) Any assistance would be gratefully received. Have I provided enough info? Thanks.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 12 (10,603 Views)

Re: Echo sound from speakers

Vicki, you did a good job of explaining your problem.  Let's hope that we do as well solving it. :smileywink:

Have you gone into the Control Panel/Sound?  Sometimes there are settings that change the sound of the speakers.  I suggest checking to see if something bacame inadvertently checked.  Let us know what you find.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 12 (10,586 Views)

Thanks for replying 'old geekster' :smileyhappy:

Have checked the sound settings and there is nothing weird going on there. The problem first happened when we moved the PC from one room to another and reconnected it all up (which is why I don't think it's a sound setting that's been changed). The sound's never been the same since. All the wires are in the right place because sound comes out; it just sounds awful! It's been moved a couple of times since then and never got better. Do you think something could have happened inside the hard drive thing when that first move took place?

Cheers

Provost
old_geekster
Message 4 of 12 (10,583 Views)

[ Edited ]

Vicki, I suggest uninstalling the audio driver and then, install the original from this page to see if that helps.  Let us know what happens.  We'll go at this systematically to see if we can narrow down the problem.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 5 of 12 (10,578 Views)

Brilliant! Will give that a go. Just so I know for sure what I'm doing, am I uninstalling and then downloading the version from the link you gave me, the Realtek driver? Thanks heaps.

Honor Student
vickirogers1
Message 6 of 12 (10,575 Views)

Oops - embarrassingly I have just had another look at the sound settings and had a bit of a fiddle (I'm sure I've tried this loads of times before!). I had the option of  "line in/mic in" or "Quickcam IM/Connect Microphone" so I swapped it to the Quickcam IM option to see if that helped, and it does - hooray! Thanks for inspiring me to have another play  with the settings - I can't quite believe the problem was that simple to solve in the end:smileywink:

However, do you think it might still be worth reinstalling the driver? It's because I am also having an irritating issue with a "missing codec", whatever that may be, when I try to play back the short home videos that I recorded on my webcam. They used to play back perfectly well but now the sound plays (used to be echoey but not any more!) but no picture. The Logitech QuickCam automatically play videos with Windows Media Player and it now tells me that there was an "error downloading a codec" whenever I try to play the video. I thought the issue might be tied up with the echo one but they are obviously two different things... Again, I can't work out why it used to be okay but isn't now... I tried playing a video back with Real Player and it worked, so I know the picture is there somewhere, but I don't understand why the Windows Media Player doesn't play it any more.

Apologies if it's not good etiquette to raise a second problem - I'm new to all this! I'm happy to post this again somewhere else if need be :smileyhappy: I'm just really over the moon not to have echoey speakers any more!!

Thanks so much for your help. It really is appreciated.

Honor Student
Coalcracker
Message 7 of 12 (10,429 Views)

I went through a few weeks of hell with the sound sometime after I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. Eventually, HP helped me solve the problem with a new driver and everything was fine. But then ... I too started have echo problems and had to keep my volume so low (49) that I could not hear my reminders. I've gone into the Sound menu and unchecked all kinds of things and then ran the test. I hear the test sound but there's a slight echo.I can't make a video that you can hear and if I turn up the volume, it's a disaster, and I suspect that Skype will be useless.

I hope HP or RealTek solves this problem soon.

Top Student
jwong810
Message 8 of 12 (9,556 Views)

Hi i just had this problem too on my dm4-1160us, but then i went to control panel> sound> recording

and then click on the stereo mix >  properties> listen tab> uncheck "listen to this device" should work!! hope this can help u!

Student
poeticcaresses
Message 9 of 12 (6,693 Views)

I was having this same probelm with my husbands brand new PC. I just got him the Logitech Z523 2.1 Speakers and on ANY audio he was getting a severe echo. Unchecking 'listen to device' under audio settings for 'Recording Devices' is what fixed the problem. He has Realtek audio drivers - didn't have the problem with the old speakers, I'm not sure why, but I knew it was something with the realtek drivers or settings as muting playback from the realtek device would temporarily solve the problem. However, a reboot re-initiates it unless you actually fix the setting. It took some serious searching to find the answer - and I AM tech savvy! I thought of everything EXCEPT the 'Recording Devices' settings. Oh well. Thanks for the solution!

Student
Infinity700
Message 10 of 12 (4,505 Views)

my speakers now have an echo sound. I have windows 7 and have messed with sound in the control panel. Help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation