Front earphone plug does not cut out speakers or plays any sound (2648 Views)
Top Student
CanadaDry
Message 1 of 8 (2,648 Views)

Front earphone plug does not cut out speakers or plays any sound

I have an HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7480n Desktop Pc. I upgraded to Windows 7 32.  After install the front earphone plug no longer cuts out the speakers or plays any sound.  I updated all the Realtek drivers.  In Realtek HD Audio manager the green and pink front plugs are light color.  I tried both the advanced settings to play back devices.  Neither work.  I had the front plug and the headphones checked out and both are functioning.  I have been using the rear plug for my headphones and switch plugs with my speakers when I need them.  I miss my front plug.  Any Ideas?

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 8 (2,645 Views)

Re: Front earphone plug does not cut out speakers or plays any sound

Hi CanadaDry,

You probably just need to update either your audio driver or your chipset directly from the component manufacturer. I'd start with the audio driver first if everything else on your PC is working after the upgrade. But if there are other things not quite right like USB ports not working, then I would install the chipset driver update too.

Your PC has a Realtek Audio Device, so here is a link to the Realtek downloads:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Select "High Definition Audio Codecs", accept the agreement, and then download and install the Win 7 32bit driver.

If that doesn't work, here is a link to the Intel 945P Chipset driver for Win 7:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19607&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%...

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
CanadaDry
Message 3 of 8 (2,639 Views)

I updated both the Realtek and Chip Set drivers.  No luck.  Everything else on the PC is working fine after the upgrade except for the front head phone socket. I didn't try the front mic socket, because I never use it.  I have already accepted the fact that I will have to keep switching my speaker jack with my headphone jack in the rear output socket Thanks for the reply. I really thought you might have had it 

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 8 (2,617 Views)

This still seems odd that an upgrade would knock out the front ports but not the back. Have you opened the PC and looked at the hardware connections to ensure the device is connected to the motherboard? Maybe disconnecting it and then reconnecting it will help. Also, you may want to go into Device Manager and see if any devices have error symbols, as well as try right-clicking the audio device and selecing "update driver". Let it scan your entire hard drive, select (Browse and then your "C:/" drive as the folder).

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
CanadaDry
Message 5 of 8 (2,598 Views)

Thanks for still trying.  I am going to wait till the weekend to try opening the box.  Right after the upgrade and I found the problem, I checked the connections and all the wires were connected.  Also when I plug the earphones in the front output jack, you can hear a click as if there is power going to the jack. I didn't try pulling them out of the mother board and reconnecting them.  I might try to reboot after i disconnect, then reconnect and reboot.

I went into the Device Manager and none of the devices have error symbols, I right-clicked the audio device and selected "update driver". It said all drivers are up to date.  

Thank you again for sticking with this one. 

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 6 of 8 (2,592 Views)

You might want to still try to update the driver in Device Manager even though it says it's up to date. Sometimes the driver files don't fully get updated...at least I've seen a number of times where I installed a driver but the system still didn't make the device work. So I forced the system to look for an updated driver and suprise it worked. I'm not sure why this is.....actually this just happened to me on a PC at home that I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 and the wireless quit working. Device Manager recognized the device and I even downloaded and installed all the drivers from HP and the chipset from Intel. Then in a last ditch effort, I right-clicked on the device and selected "Update Driver Software", then selected the Browse my PC option, then selected the C:/ drive as the folder and put the check in the "Include subfolders" option. Then clicked "Next"...it took a little while for the PC to go through all the folders on my drive, but after about 5minutes it loaded the driver and my wireless was back to working.

Top Student
CanadaDry
Message 7 of 8 (2,580 Views)

Well, I gave the device mgr a try.  It did take some time, but came back the most recent drivers are installed.

Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
4/6/2011

Will try the hardware this weekend.

Thanks Again

Student
rcoe74
Message 8 of 8 (2,042 Views)

I have the same problem on a m7475 Media Centre PC - when I upgraded to Windows 7 the front jacks stopped working. have definitely got upgraded Realtek Audio Manager drivers and Intel Chipset driver. Did you ever solve this CanadaDry?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation