Question

Honor Student
REMTG
Message 1 of 4 (4,966 Views)

HDMI Sound Delay?

Wow, it is 2008 and my latest and greatest quad processor desktop pimped out with the lastest in HDMI high def capabilities is less advanced than my Commador 64K computer from the 80ies! At least the glorious mono sound worked on that computer.

Simply put, there is a 2 to 3 second dead spot of NO SOUND at the beginning of any audio event generated via the HDMI audio to the HP x2207h monitor. So, I NEVER EVEN HEAR any of the multitude of short sound events (like error feedback sound from the Windows OS). And you can't use anything that stops and starts sound, like using VOIP for a conversation because you never hear the first 2 to 3 seconds of anything!

HP sent me a replace sound card - Whatever! It is just a replacement of the same junk.

This system is completely USELESS!

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 4 (4,960 Views)

Re: HDMI Sound Delay?

If you would like help from the good folks in this forum, please post your model number.

If you have an onboard realtek codec, you might want to try downloading the latest drivers directly from Realtek.tw. I know it helped another person with HDMI problems about 3 days ago. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
REMTG
Message 3 of 4 (4,956 Views)

Thanks for your help in suggesting the drivers website as I was not made aware of this possibility until now.
However, I have no clue as to know if I have an onboard realtek codec or how to even begin to be educated about how to do so.

Per your request, the model number of the HP Pavillion is m9340f (sold through Office Depot).

OS Vista Home Premium (x64)

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 4 (4,952 Views)

You do have Integrated Audio - that is, the sound can come from the motherboard. So ... you can download and install the drivers for "Integrated High Definition Audio".

m9340f Specifications

Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio
  • Realtek ALC 888S chipset
  • Supports up to 8 audio channels 

You mentioned HP/Support sent you a sound card? or was it a video card?

You see, HDMI can be a bit tricky because both the audio and the video signal is passed through the one cable - from the video card. The sound data has to get passed through the video card from the motherboard/soundcard. If you only have an HDMI cable connected and you can hear sound coming from the monitors speakers, then this is what's happening. How it is being done, is probably the real problem.

One thing somone probably already told you to do, is to go into Windows Sound (Properties) and make sure HDMI Audio is selected as default.

Well, if HDMI isn't working out, you can always run a line from the green speaker out connection on the back of the computer to the green line-in on the back of the monitor. A nice picture of it should be on your monitor setup poster. Then, after you connect, you go into Windows Sound proerties and set Speakers to default - poof you should have sound.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation