Question

Honor Student
fredo008
Message 1 of 4 (1,140 Views)

HP Touchsmart audio problem

I have a HP Touchsmart 610 series with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Whenever I boot up the computer, the volume always reverts to high.  (The slide bar is always at the top of the scale)  For no apparent reason, during almost every use, the volume slide bar will not lower the sound.  When attempting to drag it down, it slides right back up to full volume.  When this happens, the volume controls on the keyboard also do not work, nor does the mute button.  Tech support could not solve this problem and they wanted me to reformat the hard drive.  I really hope that there's another solution without going that drastic. On occasion the volume controls do work, but there is no rhyme or reason when it works or doesn't.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (1,135 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart audio problem

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

fredo008 wrote:

I have a HP Touchsmart 610 series with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  Whenever I boot up the computer, the volume always reverts to high.  (The slide bar is always at the top of the scale)  For no apparent reason, during almost every use, the volume slide bar will not lower the sound.  When attempting to drag it down, it slides right back up to full volume.  When this happens, the volume controls on the keyboard also do not work, nor does the mute button.  Tech support could not solve this problem and they wanted me to reformat the hard drive.  I really hope that there's another solution without going that drastic. On occasion the volume controls do work, but there is no rhyme or reason when it works or doesn't.

In Control Panel >double-click on Sound > select the Playback tab > then  select Properties to invoke the Speakers Properties window

sound.png

In the Levels tab > Speakers you should be able to set the default volume.

Kind regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
fredo008
Message 3 of 4 (1,125 Views)

I tried everything suggested but the sound bar keeps sliding back to full volume.  If I reboot, it will be fine for a short time, then the same thing happens.  This is really wierd.

Student
Colboy
Message 4 of 4 (1,034 Views)

Hi

Did you ever resolve your issue?  I've got the same problem.

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation