Question

Honor Student
Sphix
Message 1 of 4 (757 Views)

High-Pitched Tone Always In The Background

[ Edited ]

Hi there, and thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out here.

I am using a Compaq Presario SR1917CL, I've had it for about three years. For as long as I can remember, there has been a high-pitched tone in the background of my audio ALL THE TIME. Most of the time I just turn the volume down on my speakers (Logitech X-530). When I record something, whether a microphone is plugged in or not, the tone is easily discernible in the background. If no audio is playing but the speakers are on, if I turn the volume up, I can clearly hear the tone.

Through the process of elimination, I have figured that it is some sort of hardware problem. I unplugged everything from the computer tower, took it into another room, plugged it in using a different power cable, and used only headphones to listen. The tone only comes on right as windows is booting up (I'm assuming that it's when the speakers/headphones are actually activated by the computer).

I'm at a total loss here. I've unplugged everything I could thing of to try to isolate the source of the whine. One at a time, I eliminated the rear cooling fan, the graphics card (I use an NVIDIA something or other PCI-Express 16x card), the DVD drive, and the wireless card, and none had any effect. As far as I can tell, it must be a problem with one of the following: the processor, the motherboard, the power supply, or the onboard audio card.

I'm running XP Service Pack 3. Any advice anyone could give me would me IMMENSELY helpful. If you need any additional information, I'd be happy to provide it. Thank you very much!

EDIT - Here's a sample of what it's doing. I added the silence in myself in post-production.

MP3 File (700 KB, ~30 seconds)

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (746 Views)

Re: High-Pitched Tone Always In The Background

Sphix, you said that you unplugged the microphone.  However, does the monitor have a built-in mic?  I had a similar problem when I had chosen 'Microphone Boost' in the Advanced section of the Microphone Controls.  This raises the decibels and can cause a screech.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (735 Views)

Thanks for your response! I decided to try out a theory and by a super cheap sound card from Best Buy, and it seemed to fix the problem, so it must simply be a glitch in the onboard audio. Now my only problem is deciding what sound card to get for real X-D

Student
Amjad0313
Message 4 of 4 (198 Views)

back ground audio sound problem how this problem can solve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation