HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
02-15-2010 06:06 PM - edited 02-15-2010 06:07 PM
I've searched through this forum but no other solutions helped ...
I just bought one of these second hand and installed Windows 7 on it. No sound comes from the inbuilt speaker, although in Device Manager it says it has the drivers and that they're working correctly.
The little speaker at the bottom has a red cross over it as if it's muted. When I click on that I get this message;
"The peripheral does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection. Proceed to next step to finish."
And it tells me to plug headphones in?
Tried looking on the HP website for drivers but it only goes up to Vista. I've also run Windows update and installed every update available but still nothing.
Any chance of the sound working on this PC with Win 7?
Thanks in advance
03-15-2010 11:34 PM
Hey i just ran into this same problem, but was able to solve it.
1) Download the most recent windows vista 32bit audio drivers from here. (or navigate to the page on HPs website yourself)
2) Once downloaded, run the file. The install will fail but will create the folder "swsetup" on your "C" drive.
3) Open up control panel --> system and security --> Device Manager
4) Under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" right click the audio device that appears and choose "Update Driver Software"
5) Click "browse my computer for driver software".
6) Click "Browse" and navigate to "C:\swsetup\SP35288\Vista", click "OK" and then "next"
7) The driver should then begin installing.
This process worked for me, and I hope it works for you too.
10-16-2010 07:14 PM
Another solution is to download and install the latest windows 7 HD audio driver from realtek.
Accept the agreement, download and install the first driver on the list.