Question

Honor Student
kat6kat
Message 1 of 5 (4,398 Views)

No Sound on HP Pavilion Slimline s7520n PC

I have no sound on my HP Pavilion Slimline s7520n PC.  It uses Realtek AC97 Audio. This sound card is on the Motherboard.

I did all the troubleshooting steps and it says everything is working properly.  Nothing is muted.  

I have tried updating the driver but it says I am using the most updated driver already. So that did not fix the sound.

I tried plugging in headphones to see if there was sound that way and there is not.

I noticed the sound was not working after a Microsoft Update but can't say for sure that it caused the problem or if it just happened  about that same time.

I tried asking Microsoft Support  for help and they sent me a link to download a driver.  It did not fix the sound and they  suggested I re-install WinXP  I have not done that yet because I really did not want to loose all my data if I don't have to.  If it is the sound card gone bad I would be doing that for nothing. I am in the process of saving all my music and photos to CDs just in case I have to reinstall XP.

Someone suggested just installing a new sound card and assuming the Slimline has a open slot in it   

I would need instructions on installing a new sound card.

Anyone else had this problem or have other suggestions on fixing the sound?   Thanks for any help.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 5 (4,380 Views)

Re: No Sound on HP Pavilion Slimline s7520n PC

[ Edited ]

Go to the Control Panel --> Sounds and then right mouse click on Playback and make sure you don't have a disabled device. Do the same for Recordings.  Do the speakers under the Playback tab have a green check mark?

The other thing to check is to go into Device Manager and make sure that there are not any yellow exclamation points for yellow question marks.  A red X on the Sound device is also not good. Click on the Sound device and then right mouse click (properties) on each sound device and see if all are working.

Lastly, since you have the Sound driver downloaded, you could try uninstalling the sound driver and then reinstalled it.

You read all these articles, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
PK2 Student
Student
PK2
Message 3 of 5 (3,611 Views)

The same problem just ocurred on my HP Pavillion Slimline and I'm in the middle of troubleshooting.  Did you have any success?

Honor Student
kat6kat
Message 4 of 5 (3,584 Views)

[ Edited ]

No and I tried everything that was suggested to me. I can hear sound using headphones.

Student
HDRIDES
Message 5 of 5 (3,562 Views)

DID YOU EVER GET IT FIXED

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation