Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had hooked up my laptop to my television via an HDMI cord and knew the sound would come from the computer, and not the tv, not a problem here.

My problem is, is that once I unplugged the cord, the sound on my computer stopped working. I tested the speakers, made sure they were enabled, and made sure the volume was up. Everything worked fine. I have a few sounds working, but my itunes, anything on the internet, and videos won't play sounds. So the speakers work, but they're just not playing sounds.

I run off of vista. What can I do?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right of windows Taskbar and select 'Playback Devices'.  In the following window, left click the entry called 'Speakers/Headphones' to highlight it and then click the Set Default button.  Click apply to save the change.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have already done that and it still doesn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  What devices are listed here and do any of them have an error icon ( yellow triangle ) against them?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi I'm having the same problem too. I'm using HP Pavilion DV6. I've already set the 'Speakers and Headphones' as default device, but there is still no sound on Itunes, VLC, Media Player, Youtube, etc. However, there is sound for windows e.g start, shut down. 

This happened after I disconnected my laptop from TV via HDMI cable. Please help! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Try setting the normal output as the default audio device, that's what works for me in the situation. Go to control panel, hardware and sound, sound, then right-click on your normal audio (mine lists as Speakers, with Realtek audio below it) and choose set as default device. Then apply/ok and see if it works. Did the trick for me.

HP Recommended

In case anyone else runs into this problem and does everything posted here so far but to no avail (as I did), consider booting another OS installed on an external drive that would allow you to more extensively configure your sound settings i.e. selecting sound card, muting/unmuting S/PDIF, headphones, speakers, mute-LED etc. Worked for me.

I run Windows 7 on an HP Envy 15-3033cl and booted Ubuntu 12.10 installed on an external hdd to solve my sound issues. For more details, just ask.

Mark
HP Recommended

SOLVED

In my case the default laptop speakers were disabled and were not shown in the Audio Devices (just the HDMI and headphones were shown). So you need to right click on blank space->show diasbled device->activate the deactivated defailt lapotp speakers->set them as default.

HP Recommended

Same problem here, only started this week.  After disconnecting HDMI I had to restart to get sound back.  I thought it was the update to Windows 8.1??  I looked at your solution, but my screen looks different:

screenshot.png

So your directions wouldn't apply, but I just right clicked speakers and hit test and all of a sudden the sound worked!  No sound from Pandora before this, worked immediately once I did this.  I see many posts on this.  I hope Windows can send an update fast, this is a pain and shouldn't have happened.

HP Recommended

Hi all

I have the same problem. I also think the problem  occurred after a Windows Vista Update. I can't fix the sound problem on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv6). The sound only works when I connect my headphones or the TV (hdmi-cable) to my PC. I have tried erverything in this thread but I can't get my speakers on the laptop to work. 

Anyone with an idea to solve the problem? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.