Question

Honor Student
smitht2
Message 1 of 5 (685 Views)

No sound when playing a DVD...

I replaced my DVD ROM with an HP dvd 1040i DVD R/RW and there is no sound when playing a DVD? I loaded the Nero 7 essentials software that came with it. My system is a HP compac dc7600 Small Form Factor. I am running Windows XP-Pro and IE8.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (674 Views)

Re: No sound when playing a DVD...

Hi:

I am presuming your old DVD played sound?  On a dc7600, there is no need for the audio cable to be connected from the rear of the DVD drive sound output to the sound connector on the motherboard.

You should have sound just from the IDE cable.  Do you have the jumper on the back of your DVD player set to Cable Select (CS), and the end IDE ribbon connector plugged in to the back of the device?

If yes to all of these, I'd say the drive was defective.

Paul

Honor Student
smitht2
Message 3 of 5 (669 Views)

The stock DVD ROM would play and write music CD's only, but not play DVD's at all through the Windows Media Player...codecs missing error. We wanted to burn DVD's, home movies, ect. anyway, so I purchased the DVD writer. The cables are plugged in and the jumper is on channel select. The DVD writer will play video with the Nero Essentials player, but has no sound.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (668 Views)

Hi:

Interesting...

Does your onboard audio work when listening to music files or playing a video on the internet?

If you have sound normally but not thru the DVD player, try this free DVD playing software. I use it all the time. See if that fixes the audio problem.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

Download the file by clicking on the green download arrow button on the top right hand side of the page.

Paul

Honor Student
smitht2
Message 5 of 5 (657 Views)

Yes, I have sound everywhere else. Thanks, I'll try this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation