Question

Top Student
depljc
Message 1 of 12 (848 Views)

No stereo at line in

Pavilion p6157c - Windows 7

When trying to input a stereo signal from an outside source to record onto the computer, only the left channel is heard.  The computer plays stereo fine from Windows Media Player, but the Line In at the back of the machine only picks up the left channel.  I've tried a number of different stereo cords, but none of them make any difference.  What could be the problem?  I've checked within the Realtek Audio Manager for something that might not be set correctly, but everything is fine there.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 12 (834 Views)

Re: No stereo at line in

[ Edited ]

Hi,

What is the source of your outside audio?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
depljc
Message 3 of 12 (823 Views)

I've been trying to record from my Cable DVR, which has video and left and right audio RCA jacks.  I've used three known-good RCA to 1/8" stereo cable sets, but sound only comes out of the left speaker or left side of a stereo headset.  I've also tried to input stereo sound from a "Walkman" cassette player using the headphone jack to the stereo line-in at the back of the computer.  Still no stereo.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 12 (813 Views)

Hi,

You should first verify that your cable DVR box is outputting stereo before trying anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Top Student
depljc
Message 5 of 12 (805 Views)

It is outputting stereo.  So is my cassette player.  Whatever I input, I still don't get stereo through the Realtek system on the computer.  Do you think it may be that this computer originally came with Vista, and I upgraded to Windows 7 and there might be an issue there?

Teacher
Lighter
Message 6 of 12 (799 Views)

This has got to be frustrating.  I looked at the specifications for the computer hoping that there was a front input to try.  Nothing.  The OS upgrade shouldn't have effected a running audio configuration.  UNLESS, did this problem show right after the upgrade?  Or down the road?

1/8" stereo connecters are finicky.  Shouldn't be because of how common they are.  Try reversing the phono connectors at your source and see if left works, but not right.  If so, there is likely a connector issue.  Try wiggling the computer end of the connection.  Or pulling the stereo jack out just a bit. 

In the sound control panel in the recording tab see what shows up in configuration for the line in.  Have you taken a look at device manager for any sound card issues?

Good luck with this.

Top Student
depljc
Message 7 of 12 (798 Views)

I have checked everything.  My outside sources are 100% functional.  My cables are, as well.   Also, when I switch connectors from the source I can hear the right side, but only through the left speaker.  My speakers work fine.  This is a problem with the computer, so there is no need to check anything else.  I've never tried inputing stereo into the rear jack, so I don't have a "before" scenario.

I want an answer to my problem focused on the computer, not my stuff.  My stuff works; the computer has a problem.  Does anyone know of this problem happening to them?

Top Student
depljc
Message 8 of 12 (796 Views)

By the way, I just got finished installing the latest Realtek High Def Audio driver, which I found I didn't have yet.  Still no change.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 9 of 12 (795 Views)

Hi,

Review these articles. Although for VISTA, many of the same tips apply to WIndows 7

Top Student
depljc
Message 10 of 12 (775 Views)

I reviewed all the pertinent articles and none solve my problem.  As a matter of fact, they mostly deal with whether sound is produced at all, and not the problem of only one side of the stereo signal.  All of my settings are configured correctly.

I'm figuring it's a problem with the physical line in jack, which would be a problem I wouldn't be able to fix without purchasng another computer.

I had a problem last year with my front headphone jack, and HP couldn't fix that, either.  They don't make that part anymore, so I was told, although I know those same front jacks (Mic and Headphone) are constantly used in even their newer products.  I ended up switching the mic for the headphone, since I don't use the front mic input jack.  Now I have a working front headphone jack.

I'm disappointed in the lack of quality in the parts used, and in HP's unwillingness to go the extra mile to solve a customer's simple problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation