Question

Honor Student
Steve_Buscemi
Message 1 of 41 (66,313 Views)

Windows 7 + Realtek HD Audio = A whole lot of frustration

System Specs:

Workstation Model: Media Center PC m7790y

Processor: Intel Core 2 CPU; 6400 @ 2.14 GHz

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional (32 bit)

Using onboard sound

Realtek High Definition Audio; driver version 6.0.1.5910

Speakers: HP vs 19e

So, last week, I upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit) to Windows 7. I get no sound from my speakers.

I downloaded HP's Spring 2007 Original Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, but that, of course, is for Vista and will not run on my system (I get an error message with the following number: 9998).

I also downloaded Realtek's "solution" to this problem (I tried both the Windows 7 and XP versions), but that didn't work either. I have tried running all of these drivers in compatibility mode for Vista (Standard and Service Packs 1 &2) and XP (Service Packs 2 & 3), but to no avail.

I contacted Microsoft about this and they told me to do exactly the same things I just described doing.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have tried a pair of headphones, I have tried using different speakers, I have checked to make sure everything is plugged in properly. And my PC is out of warranty, so HP won't help me unless I pay them.

Can anyone help?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 41 (66,300 Views)

Re: Windows 7 + Realtek HD Audio = A whole lot of frustration

Steve, did you check in the Control Panel to assure that the sound device is the default?  Also, that all of the boxes are checked that should be and those that are not supposed to be, aren't?  Check one at a time, so you will know if it is working or not.  I have had this happen to me over the years and have fought it until I was ready to throw the computer out of the window.  Does that describe how you are feeling?  :smileywink:

Also, did you run Windows Update to see what happens?  Some have done this and actually got the driver that they required.

Let us know what happens.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 41 (66,298 Views)

[ Edited ]

Got my HP elite e9280t on Nov. 19.  Sound was working at first and then no sound.  I've tried everything to get sound back, restore, recovered, upgraded realtek, and nothing.  I got windows 7 home 64.  Though when I plugged in these old speakers that are connected using usb, there was sound.  So does that mean it's not a sound card problem?  Perhaps a realtek/ windows 7 problem?  When I connect the new HP speakers (not usb) to the pc and open the sound window it doesn't even detects speakers, and if i connect headphones, I get the same deal.  It says they're both are not connected if i connect one or the other.  

So i guess i might be on the same boat.

Message Edited by ctimk84 on 11-21-2009 03:49 PM
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 4 of 41 (66,280 Views)

Try Microsoft Update Catalog

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=HDAUDIO%5cFUNC_01%26VEN_10EC%26DEV_0885%26...

Make sure you install the correct driver (32-bit: x86  vs 64-bit: amd64)

Download the cab file

Install a zip utility like winzip or winrar (rarlab.com) and extract the files

Use Device Manager to install the driver.

Post to the forum the version that works for others to use.

Don't forget to Hide (right mouse click) the version of the driver that doesn't work from WU so it doesn't land on your system. 

Top Student
ctimk84
Message 5 of 41 (66,276 Views)

Well I have the latest driver.  Still I went ahead and unintall and then did what you said and reinstalled the latest driver.  Didn't work.  I just want to know if there's something wrong with my sound card.  I don't think there is right?  Since I am able to play sound connecting with usb speakers.  Like i said it just seems like the computer doesn't recognize I've connected headphones or speakers into the port, in the sound window.  Thanks for trying though.

PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 41 (66,279 Views)

[ Edited ]

Steve,

Try installing the driver version you were using in Vista that worked by downloading it from the Microsoft Update Catalog link I previously provided. See if you see it on the list and download/install that since the 5910 driver doesn't work. There is probably no setup application so it won't block your driver installation.

For example, I would choose one of these: (Make sure you pick the right driver (32-vs 64-bit)

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio Windows 7 Client,Windows Vista Drivers (Other Hardware) 9/19/2007 6.0.1.5485    

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio Windows 7 Client,Windows Vista Drivers (Other Hardware) 12/8/2006 6.0.1.5337

BTW, are you using the original chassis or did you switch the chassis? 

Message Edited by PC_Tester on 11-22-2009 09:24 AM
Top Student
ctimk84
Message 7 of 41 (66,272 Views)

PC, I think you got  me mixed up with steve up there.  Haha.   I got my computer new on nov. 19 and it came with windows 7 and realtek.  You know what though, I think I am just going to go out and buy myself a usb sound adapter and connect my speakers and headphones to that. 
Honor Student
Steve_Buscemi
Message 8 of 41 (66,224 Views)

You certainly have described my feelings, geekster. Although my rage is more directed at Realtek and Microsoft than my computer.

As far as the Control Panel stuff goes. Yes. I did all that. Also tried running the Windows Update (actually, I've had to fight Windows Update on every other driver I've installed, because it keeps trying to reinstall the drivers I just uninstalled).

Honor Student
Steve_Buscemi
Message 9 of 41 (66,224 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, PC_Tester. I already had the latest drivers, but tried installing them anyway. No luck. Thanks anyway though.

I am using the original chasis.

Message Edited by Steve_Buscemi on 11-22-2009 07:42 AM
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 10 of 41 (66,195 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not many people are aware of it, but Windows Update has a way to hide specific updates you don't want to install.

http://www.petri.co.il/hide_updates_windows_vista.htm

Note that once you hide that update, there may be other driver versions that will be offered to you that are the next best ranking. Disable them one by one until you find one that works.

ctimk84,

For your particular model, try following this link

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=lockups&thread.id=3146

Message Edited by PC_Tester on 11-22-2009 09:30 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation