Question

Honor Student
RVM76
Message 1 of 9 (9,618 Views)

m9177c: No sound through headphones

Hardware: HP Pavilion Elite m9177c, connected via HDMI (audio and video) to HP w2408h (LCD Panel). Sound is currently coming out of the LCD panel's speakers via the HDMI cable. I'd like to be able to use headphones through the desktop's front jack.

When I connect headphones to the front panel jack, there is no sound through the headphones, and the playback devices show that the "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output" (The icon is shown as headphones) and the status is "Not plugged in". In fact - nothing happens at all.

How can I enable my front panel headphone jack?

Honor Student
heironym
Message 2 of 9 (9,606 Views)

Re: m9177c: No sound through headphones

I have the same problem, only mine is a pavilion a6750f, plugged into a HPw1907 with VGA.

For my thing, playback devices would always assert that the speakers are plugged in and working, and then if you plug in headphones, the speakers shut off but...nothing comes out of the headphones.

Not the same problem you say? Well, I went into Realtek HD audio manager, and changed the settings to "make front and real audio panels playback two different audio streams."  That made my situation identical to as described above.

I did some research online, and it seems to be a common problem plaguing computers with some combination of Vista, Realtek HD Audio Manager, andtwo different audio panels...but no official word from anyone.  The only solution that seems to work is this: http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalArticle.asp?cref=TEC949416 but that seems to only be available on some previous version of Realtek's drivers, which I have yet to find.  After an ungodly number of hours spent uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and messing with options, I've gotten every possible combination of results...but never any sound out of the headphones.

I eventually gave in and bought a $20 USB sound card to use, but I'd really like to be able to use my front panel as it was intended.

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 3 of 9 (9,432 Views)

In the Playback Devices on the Sound options in Vista Control panel window does it say Speakers, working?

Try rightclicking it and choose test witht the headphones plugged in.

If it works then you need to set Speakers as the default playback device instead of HDMI. So rightclick Speakers and choose Set as Default Device then OK and restart the pc.

You could also try if it fits pluggin the headphones in the back green audio out port. May not fit.

Honor Student
heironym
Message 4 of 9 (9,393 Views)

That was one of the first things I tried.  If you tell the speakers to test, nothing happens unless the headphones are unplugged, in which case the speakers do their thing.

And the back green audio port is just...inconvenient.

Student
racerx70
Message 5 of 9 (9,000 Views)

I just bought a m9510f and a 2159m monitor with integrated speakers and I'm having the same problem.  I am using an HDMI cable. I can get sound through the speakers only when the HDMI output is set as default, but no sound from the speakers.  The Speakers option in the Sound window only appears when I plug in the headphones.  I don't have the option to set them as a default.  So, I have to go to the control panel to switch back and forth from headphones to speakers.  I'm not very happy. Hopefully they fix this
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 6 of 9 (8,740 Views)

The question is do you want to use the monitor speakers or no?

If yes, then leave Realtek HDMI output as default output checked and make sure it works.

If not then plug in Speakers in the back of the pc and set Speakers as default playback device.

To set a device as default playback device rightclick on the White speaker icon on the bottom left corner of the screen and choose Playback Devices and when the windows comes up in the middle rightclick Speakers (the actual gray icon picture of the speakers, not the writing itself as that could show you a different menu) and select Set As Default Device (option should be right in the middle).

As for headphones, if you wanna use headphones you set Headphones as default device in that same windows.

They should say "Enabled, Working".

Remember only one playback device can be set as default at any existing time.

When you plug/unplug heaphones/speakers in or out this playback device many change and you may have to go back in that menu and set it to whichever playback device you want or have.

Honor Student
RVM76
Message 7 of 9 (8,528 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for the responses so far. I have tried everything, and it does not work. Remember that my objective is so that when headphones are plugged into the front panel jack, the sound goes to the headphones, and mutes the speakers.

In short:

- I connected speakers in the back, and have sound through them (Speakers are my Default audio device in Playback Devices). There is no use of HDMI audio throughout this test.

- Note that in the list of Playback devices, one of them is called "Realtek HD Audio 2nd Output" and it is shown as "not plugged in". The icon is a headphone.

- If I connect headphones in the front panel jack, nothing happens. (No sound, no changes in the Playback Devices window)

Any suggestions?

Honor Student
heironym
Message 8 of 9 (8,523 Views)

Like I described above, I'm pretty sure you have the exact problem I do.  In Realtek HD audio manager (which you can access through control panel), there is an option called "make front and real audio panels playback two different audio streams." which I think you have checked.  What it does is it disables the part where if you plug in a headphone the speaker turns off.  In fact the headphones and speakers are both always on...but the headphones don't work  If you uncheck the box, then every time you plug in the headphones, the speakers turn off and the headphones turn on...but you can't hear them because the headphones don't work.  The fundamental problem here is that the headphones don't work.

I never was able to figure out how to solve this, so I just spent $20 on a usb sound card and listen through that.

Student
Gittea
Message 9 of 9 (1,284 Views)

When I connect headphones to the front panel jack, there is no sound through the headphones, and the playback devices show that the "Realtek HD Audio 2nd output" (The icon is shown as headphones) and the status is "Not plugged in". In fact - nothing happens at all.

How can I enable my front panel headphone jack?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation