no sound with audio volume box on screen (wont go away) (2200 Views)
Tutor
lizardlips
Message 1 of 24 (2,200 Views)
Accepted Solution

no sound with audio volume box on screen (wont go away)

I have an  a1747c computer with a  w19e monitor with internal speakers running vista (up to date)

Suddenly the audio volume box appeared centered on screen and started to go to 0 and thats where it stays. And the internal speakers do not work. I have tried plugging in headphones and external speakers, which both DO work but that audio volume box will not go away on screen. My thought is that the speakers went out?

i have also gone into the device manager for audio speakers which states all is working correctly. I can live with the external speakers but that box just wont go away...Any ideas????? or is this a repair shop problem......:smileysad:

Thanks for any help!

Liz

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 24 (2,191 Views)

Re: no sound with audio volume box on screen (wont go away)

reinstall the sound driver.
After you have done that and rebooted test the sound.

Go to a command line windows and type sfc /scannow. That is the system file checker. It will test the integrity of the system files. I the files are found to be corrupt or otherwise bad, it will replace them with a fresh copy.Sometimes odd problems can be resolved simply by running that command.

Best regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
lizardlips
Message 3 of 24 (2,177 Views)

Thanks!!!  

not sure if that helped but yesterday the box started to go off and on, off and on while i was on the computer. I just got bugged and shut it off for the day. I just booted up now and NO BOX FOR 5 MIN NOW..... could it be fixed????....:stay tuned :smileyhappy:

Student
celso812
Message 4 of 24 (2,162 Views)

i have windows 7

Tutor
lizardlips
Message 5 of 24 (2,140 Views)

UPDATE>>>>>its been several days and the box has not been back. was it the scan I did from the previous post or should it be that it took vista awhile to recognize the speakers. I'm not sure.

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 24 (2,136 Views)

Nope. the system file checker did its job. If the audio volume box has been gone for days then the OS is happy again.

regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Kelenayb
Message 7 of 24 (1,841 Views)

I am having the same problem. That box will not go away and I have no sound at all. Just started two days ago and I have tried the instructions mentioned already Misconfig and unchecked the HD audio. Also updated sound/audio drivers. My command line doesn't recognize the sfc/scannow. I am out of ideas an it is ery annoying,

Tutor
Kelenayb
Message 8 of 24 (1,840 Views)

I have Windows Vista

Tutor
lizardlips
Message 9 of 24 (1,817 Views)

After dealing with this off and on since march or so I have come to the conclusion that it is the buttons on the monitor itself! do yours work?? any of them?? MINE DO  NOT---AT ALL, NONE OF THEM. The way i have found to get rid of that box is to hold down the ON/OFF button on the monitor for 20seconds or so ( till it goes off)

Let me know if this is what is happening to you...

Tutor
lizardlips
Message 10 of 24 (1,815 Views)

[ Edited ]

i have vista also

when you use the command line with the command above you need to elevate your status and run as admin!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation