"No Audio Device Installed" in Windows Vista. (29440 Views)
Top Student
obrewsky
Message 1 of 8 (29,440 Views)
Accepted Solution

"No Audio Device Installed" in Windows Vista.

Back in september 2011 I mysteriously lost my audio. I have a red X over my speaker icon in my system tray. When I put the cursor over the speaker icon I get this message "No Audio Device Installed". I went to the HP Customer web page and found the audio driver: Realtek High Definition Audio Version 6.0.1.5548 (sp37324.exe). I downloaded the program and saved it to my download folder. I put a short cut to it on my desktop. The only way I can get sound is whenever I turn on my computer I right click the desktop short cut and run as Administrator and install the program. My sound comes on. It works as long as I keep the computer on. Whenever I restart the computer I'm back to the red X over the speaker icon.

Now, Windows Update has sent me (on 3 occassions the last couple of weeks) an "optional update"...the Realtek High Definition Audio. Each time I download it and install it and do a restart,but I get the same red X over the speaker icon. It's Ground Hog Day!

My question: Is it safe to uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio driver and reinstall the sp37324.exe without totally sending my audio into a Black Hole? BTW,I don't have a recovery disk.

I hope someone on this forum can help me. I've exhausted all avenues.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (29,436 Views)

Re: "No Audio Device Installed" in Windows Vista.

Hi,

My suggetion: Totally uninstall it, reboot the machine and install it again. You can uninstall it from

•    Control panel > Device Manager
  •    It should be under Sound ...
  •    Right click it & Uninstall

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
obrewsky
Message 3 of 8 (29,429 Views)

banhien  I've included a 'screen shot' of the resulting popup box when I right click on Sound in Device Manager. I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. The popup box has a place to check "Delete the driver software for this device" Do I check this box? It's unchecked.

Also, after I uninstall the driver and restart, what application should I use for the new installation? The audio driver I downloaded from HP, Recovery Manager or are there any other options? I can't go to Windows Update because I don't know when or IF they'll send me another Realtek High Definition Audio Update.

Thanks a million for your time & expertise.Uninstall Realtek.jpg 

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 8 (29,423 Views)

Hi,

Yes - just delete it and re-install it again

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
obrewsky
Message 5 of 8 (29,419 Views)

Viola! It worked. I uninstalled the Realtek Audio (in Device Manager), did a restart and the computer did the repair (reinstalled the audio) itself. I didn't have to manually reinstall it.

Thanks a million!

Student
Namkha
Message 6 of 8 (21,735 Views)

Hello I need your help

i had to reinstall my laptp, but the sound is not working

jigme

Student
florafauna
Message 7 of 8 (3,743 Views)

Same problem; your suggestion solved the problem quickly & easily! Thanks!
Honor Student
KatrinkaBlue
Message 8 of 8 (1,162 Views)

I have no sound on my windows visa. There is an X through the sound. I went to device manager and nothing is listed there. Nothing at all. I tried to download a sound drive off ph online but it still didn't help. What can I do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation