Question

Top Student
abishere
Message 1 of 5 (3,747 Views)

sound just stopped working

about 1-2 months ago, my  sound just  stopped working, my volume was on mute and when i unmuted it there was no sound anymore, i play a game online and we use voice chat to play ,  so its very annoying that it just stopped working ,  i've checked every software to make sure nothing is muted else were and i also reinstalled the drivers. i beleieve my restore also stopped working around the sametime, i dont use it much,  but i cant do a restore, when its done and reboots computer it  tells me there is an error and it didnt change any files

i'm using vista and my computer is Pavilion a6407c,  from what the HP website ID says

only thing i can think that happen is around the same time i got a new head set with a mic on it, would me unpluging and pluging the speakers back in mess the sound up,   like the hardware while the computer is running?

it sounds like a hardware issue to me, but just incase someone has experienced the same problem i thought i'd post this.

im  gonna have to buy a sound card, which i did from walmart but it doesnt fit in this computer,  so if anyone know a website that can scan my computer and tell me which sound cards work with my computer i would be very happy and thanks for who can help

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 2 of 5 (3,765 Views)

Re: sound just stopped working

1) Do u have regular speakers or monitor speakers? Try those if not plug in you headphones.

Are your headphones through the USB connected or through the analog color coated ports in the back (ie. orange, black, green, pick etc..0?

2) I believe you have Vista. I haven't looked up the specs but in Vista when u're at your desktop on the bottom right corner of the screen next to the clock, you have the tray icons. One of those if the white speaker icon.

Right click on it and choose Playback Devices and it will give u the list of your device that will allow you to hear your audio through.

So most of the times it should be Speakers that has the green check mark as the default playback device or maybe your usb headphones.

Again I don't know what kind of headphones u got. They may not show up on this list.

3) On top in that Playback Device windows click Sounds and make sure nothing is muted or crossed with a red circle.

4) Make sure that the volume isn't muted from the keyboard either or decreased. Some keyboard from hp have the volume controls on the top right corner which may cause audio problems if muted from.

Also if Restore doesn't work on ur pc then I believe a Recovery would be better but I don't think u wanna go through the work of saving your documents and starting from scratch again. It's up to u.

You can test the sound card itself from Start and where ti says start search type "hard" and right above you'll see Hardware Diagnostics Tools programs. Use that to test your sound card and more.

Hope this helps.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 3 of 5 (3,466 Views)

Can't find it? Here you go.

Have you attempted to install the updated driver?    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-63131-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Top Student
abishere
Message 4 of 5 (3,463 Views)

sorry about posting on Other, i'm sleepy and didnt see what forum i was on

i'll repost it here

thanks for the link, i did install and reboot still no sound,  has to be a hardware issue,  i've tried everything, troubleshooting steps twice.

does anyone know how i can find out what type of sound card will fit in my HP Pavilion a6407c Desktop PC

i went to walmart and the only sound card they sell wont fit. i searched HP's website for a sound card to buy, i guess they dont sell them.

thanks to anyone that can help.

Student
CosmoAgain
Message 5 of 5 (2,514 Views)

Thanks, c0rnet. I've been trying to figure out this issue for over a month. Tests would show speakers working and I even got the test beeps out of them, but it was the right-click option you outlined that did the trick.

Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation