Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I restore/recover an accidentally deleted user account and get all of my stuff back? Another user accidentally deleted it because she thinks she's computer savvy and is not. Please tell me there is a way to do this so I can get back all my stuff. I need that stuff.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The only thing I can think of suggesting now is to try using recovery software to see if this will locate some of your old files - this won't be able to restore your old profile, but it may worth trying to see what it finds.  A free example of this sort of application is on the following link.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Depending on exactly how the account was deleted, you may well not be able to recover it.

Try running Windows System Restore.  If you have Norton Internet Security installed, you will need to disable Nortons Tamper Protection as shown in Step 2, on the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20091112171719EN&ln=en_US

Once you've done this, shut down the PC.  Windows System Restore is usaully best run in Safe Mode.  Tap away at f8 as you start the PC to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  When this has loaded, from the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point before the account was deleted and then proceed with the restore process.  When complete, Windows will reboot as normal.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This computer has never had a restore point set and it has multiple user's. I believe she deleted it in the menu where you make new user accounts. Is there a way to do it and not erase everyone elses stuff too?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Has windows system restore been turned off as this normally creates automatic restore points if enabled?

Try holding down the Windows key and press R.  In to the Run Box, type the following and then hit enter.

%systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe

If this successfully launches System Restore and you get a choice of restore points,choose the earliest one available before proceding with the restore process.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

How do you turn on auto system restore? Or if anything is there a way to access the back door or something? I accidentally did that on an older computer and it showed a record of everything that was ever on the thing. Is there a way to restore the user account that way like how cops can do on a computer when something was deleted?

HP Recommended

Hi,

What operating system and version are you using ( ie Windows Vista 32bit )?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It's the family computer and it uses windows 7 I believe.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel, open System, click Advanced system settings, click the System Protection tab.  Under 'Protection settings' does Local Disc C show as os on?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It shows             available drives                Protection

HP (C: ) (System)                     On          

What now?

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you first launch System Restore, click Next on the initial screen.  On the second screen displaying the suggested restore point, there should be a box to the bottom left giving you the option to display more restore points.  if you tick this box, do any earlier restore points appear?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.