Top Student
andysafc
Message 1 of 22 (25,222 Views)
Accepted Solution

Factory Image (D) is almost full

Hewlett Packard

Athlon 2.6 dual Core

Windows Vista

For quite awhile now it repeatedly says that my Factory Disk is almost - please delete some files.

But when i goto my D drive i only have recovery information in there and it tells me not to delete anything or it could cause harm to my computer. These bubble messages pop up every few minutes and are really enoying. What can i do?

Teacher
Neptus
Message 2 of 22 (25,214 Views)

Re: Factory Image (D) is almost full

Click computer, click d drive click properties, check compress this drive, check index, press apply, and you can also defrag d drive.

Top Student
andysafc
Message 3 of 22 (25,207 Views)

i did the compress and waited about an hour while it did it. Then i went back to the D drive and it's still showing as almost full. It actually says 559MB free of 12.1GB. I am doing a disk defragement now, but i can't see that freeing up any space.

Teacher
Neptus
Message 4 of 22 (25,204 Views)

Eh, I was just hoping more than anything lol.

I remember this happening to me one time so I'm really trying to think of how I fixed it.

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 22 (25,194 Views)

[ Edited ]

Compressing the Recovery partition is not a good idea.It probably will fail to run now if you ever need to do a System Recovery from it.Hope you have made your Recovery Disk set.

Check your System Restore properties to see if it is set to monitor that partition.If it is, turn it off.

2 solutions HERE though the 2nd might be wiser since hiding the drive letter might also break doing a Recovery from that partition...if compressing it didn't already.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
kindall
Message 6 of 22 (25,158 Views)

I work for HP. In this scenario someone or something is saving to the D: drive. In most cases that i have seen is if you have norton online backup, it will default to the D: to save the information which will cause it to show full. So if you can please move the norton backup if you have norton, if not please call into HP for assistance.

Thanks

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

HP Support 800-474-6836
Top Student
andysafc
Message 7 of 22 (25,158 Views)

Actually you are correct. The other item on the D drive was N360 backup. I have since removed this and the line has gone out of the red and back into the green although it is still quite full. But atleast it has stopped all those annoying messages every few minutes.

Tutor
kindall
Message 8 of 22 (25,155 Views)

Good to hear you got it to work. The green level will be the correct level for the D: drive.

Thanks

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

HP Support 800-474-6836
Student
bffh
Message 9 of 22 (22,576 Views)

hej med dig

Honor Student
darkwingdave
Message 10 of 22 (19,619 Views)

My Factory Image drive partition is showing 7.6 gig in a  'preload' folder. The drive partition is 9.7 gig and the remainder is for HP. There isn't anything else being saved to the drive (backups etc). Performance has been noticeably decreasing for the last two months. I'm running win7 with 3 external drives and 6 gig RAM. Suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation