Question

Student
cel1219
Message 1 of 2 (3,947 Views)

HP Desktop, Windows XP, Code Purple?

Hello,

I have an HP desktop that runs Windows XP.  It's from ~2003-2004, roughly.  I tried restoring it using the F11 key, and it seemed to work - it got all the way through the process and said "restore complete" and asked me to restart or shut down.  When I got to the restart, however, it got to the black screen with the Windows XP logo, and then a dialogue box popped up stating that there was a "configuration error" and that I needed to turn my computer off.  I tried clicking "Okay" but the box just popped back up.  I then manually shut it down, as it told me to, and tried to turn it back on, only to get the same error.  At the end of the dialogue it said (Code Purple).  I tried to re-do the system restore, but the same thing happened again.  Any ideas on how to go about fixing this?

Thanks.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 2 (3,945 Views)

Re: HP Desktop, Windows XP, Code Purple?

Code Purple is an indication of incomplete BIOS info ,commonly called tattoo, and requires service to repair it. Unless you have a USB adpater and can attach the hdd to another machine to do some jumping through hoops. Read through the thread here:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/469752-code-purple-configuration-error-hp.html

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation