HP Touchsmart 300, Win7, need boot disk!!! (8730 Views)
Top Student
IamTiki
Message 1 of 10 (8,730 Views)

HP Touchsmart 300, Win7, need boot disk!!!

When I try to boot up my system, I get a message that a device is missing, and to insert the system installation disk and restart.  None was provided for this (as is usually the case now days), and I can not access anything at all!  Is there a boot disk or something that allows me to access my partition drive so I can do a reinstall?  Not very good that a disk is not provided anymore in case you have trouble.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 10 (8,728 Views)

Re: HP Touchsmart 300, Win7, need boot disk!!!

Hi,

Try tapping away at f11 as soon as you start the PC to see if this will launch Recovery Manager.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
IamTiki
Message 3 of 10 (8,725 Views)

Already tried that...says device missing, insert system installation disk.  I have been working with Windows since Win32 came out way back in the days of C:__ on your screen instead of actual windows.

Top Student
IamTiki
Message 4 of 10 (8,721 Views)

I tried to download the recovery software at

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4007...

but I get 

error '80004005' /driver/dr_country_select.asp, line 37 

on HP's website in Support and driver Downloads.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 10 (8,721 Views)

Hi,

If you have the option to be able to run a test on the Hard Drive at boot, do this first ( you may find this by tapping away at f10 as you start to enter the bios menu and looking under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab ) as the error you are getting may indicate a problem with the Hard Drive itself, so reinstalling the OS may not work if you do order the installation discs below.

You can order a replacement set of Recovery Installation Discs using the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
IamTiki
Message 6 of 10 (8,719 Views)

I am currently on my laptop...the desktop won't boot.  The error it has is "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessable"   "Status 0xc000000f"  The error I posted earlier is what I get  at HP's webpage when I try to download the recovery software.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 7 of 10 (8,718 Views)

Hi,

It appears the first link works for some people, but not others.  Try the direct links below it - I generally prefer that approach.

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
IamTiki
Message 8 of 10 (8,715 Views)

BOOTMGR is missing

That is the message I get.  I REALLY hate to order disks....and then wait months or whatever for them to be shipped....I am relocating to another state in a week or two to open another plant there...its why I wanted to download them from the link provided in the HP site....the one that doesn't work for me???  I am not running Win7 on my laptop...don't know if that makes a difference.  I need a boot disk or equivalent, unless they made it  to where you can't get a boot image.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 10 (8,713 Views)

Hi,

You can't download the recovery image - if the link had worked, it just takes you to a page to order the discs.  I don't live in the US, but I believe delivery takes 3 - 4 days.

I would stress though that ordering the discs may not solve the issue if there is a physical problem with the Hard Drive.

This is something you can try via download to see if you can repair the installation.

If you don't already have one, create a Windows 7 Recovery CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Select the 'Repair your Computer' option - try the Startup repair option first, but if this fails, try the System Restore option.  See the guide on the link below starting at Option 2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Regards,

DP-K

Student
steve01921
Message 10 of 10 (7,204 Views)

Boot disc not provided witrh my laptop. Can I get one for my newly installed HDD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation