Question

Honor Student
cougno6
Message 1 of 4 (374 Views)

Replaced hard drive - attempting recovery from disc

HP Pavilion a6123w with 64 bit AMD Athlon and Windows Vista - it had a Samsung Spinpoint SATA 3.0g/s HDD that failed.  Replaced with a Seagate Barracuda 6.0g/s that is supposed to be plug n play compatible with 3.0g/s interface speed.

No recovery discs are available from HP, so purchased them from another retailer.

It goes through reformatting the partition and reinstalling original content, but then it restarts and goes to a screen showing HP FlexBuild 2.0 and goes through a couple system commands.  However, after that a grey screen with two file folders transferring (like file transfer in windows explorer) comes up and stays for more than a day. 

BIOS shows that the HDD is detected but is listed as the 3rd drive rather than 1st or 2nd drive.  Not sure if this is the issue, but it seems like maybe the recovery discs could be the issue as well.

has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 4 (349 Views)

Re: Replaced hard drive - attempting recovery from disc

Cougno, welcome to the forum.

HP tatoos their motherboards.  This includes the major components of the computer.  If the dics that you bought are not for the exact configuration they may not work properly.  Also, the  boot drive should be shown as the 1st drive.  You should be able to change this in the BIOS; Boot order or some such wording.

Here is a guide that may help you solve your problem.

Please let us know if this solves your problem or not.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 4 (331 Views)

I had the similiar problem with the Recovery Disc from HP. After tried so many different things, I got it fixed - see my other post here http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Recovery/HP-system-restore-taking-forever/td-p/783191

Honor Student
cougno6
Message 4 of 4 (296 Views)

I have tried to change the HDD to show as 1st drive but it still is showing as 3rd drive.  I switched the port that the SATA cable is plugged into in the motherboard, but none of them have it show up as 1st drive.  It is now plugged into the same port as the previous HDD.

I have also changed the boot order, but this didn't make it show as 1st drive in BIOS either.  On loading, BIOS diagnostic shows it as CHannel 2 Master and the DVD drive as CHannel 3.  There is no CHannel 0 master or slave.

Not sure what to try from here.  Could it be jumper settings?  The manufacturer instructions on the HDD say you shouldn't have to adjust the jumper settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation