Question

Honor Student
ryantab
Message 1 of 5 (1,862 Views)

This PC is not supported by the recovery disks

HP Pavilion a613n

Windows Vista 32-bit.

Im trying to reinstall the Vista OS on this pc. Apparently the owner installed a Windows 7 OS, i guess he was trying to do an upgrade. So i ordered the recovery disks from HP and i got this error message saying "This PC is not supported by the recovery disks." 

If anyone can help me that would be really appreciated. Thanks

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 5 (1,853 Views)

Re: This PC is not supported by the recovery disks

Hello ryantab, You might try stating the system and immediately when the HP Logo appears, start tapping the F-11 key and see if you can enter the HP Recovery Restore Utility. If you can, select the destructive method, which will format the hard drive and wipe it clean.

Then the original software would be installed on the C: partition and when it completes, the system will reboot and start as it did originally when shipped from HP.

This will only work if the D: Factory partition is still intact and has not become corrupted.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
ryantab
Message 3 of 5 (1,841 Views)

Thanks for the reply Hanspuppa. I'm going to give it a try today. Will let you know if it works or not.

Honor Student
ryantab
Message 4 of 5 (1,822 Views)

Ok so I tried F11 and it brings me to the boot option menu. I did F8 and I went to Advanved boot options menu.

Am I doing this right?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 5 of 5 (1,820 Views)

[ Edited ]

ryantab wrote: Ok so I tried F11 and it brings me to the boot option menu. I did F8 and I went to Advanved boot options menu. Am I doing this right?

Hello ryantab, I checked the model number and could not locate it on the HP United States web site.

The model number did show up on a Google search.

If this is a HP computer, when you pressed the F-11 key you should have entered the HP Recovery Restore Utility and not the option to select the F-8 (Safe Mode). Usually the F-10 key gives the Advance boot menu.

On a Compaq system the F-10 key usually allows you to enter the Compaq Recovery Restore.

The operating system and the hard drive may be so corrupted that a F-11 HP Recovery  Restore may not be able to be performed.

You may have to try and format the hard drive and try the Recovery Restore disk again.

Here  is a link to a free program that can delete and create partitions and format them. With this Utility you may be able to restore the hard drive to the point the HP Recovery Restore disk can be successfully used.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation