Question

Student
-abc-
Message 1 of 4 (5,058 Views)

What is the difference between restore to factory settings and reset?

This is concerning an HP desktop computer that is running Windows Vista.

I am going to do a system restore using the recovery disks that I made when I first got the computer.  I was looking at the advance options for the system recovery and was wanting to know more about a couple of the options.  I would like to know what the difference between "Recover your computer to its original factory settings" and "Reset the computer by erasing the entire drive and recreating the factory setup."  I am mainly doing this to just get rid of a bunch of stuff that is no longer needed, but for future reference which one would be better at getting rid of malware and viruses?

Thanks to all who take time to read and/or respond to this thread.

Tutor
hb2010
Message 2 of 4 (4,954 Views)

Re: What is the difference between restore to factory settings and reset?

-abc-,

Thanks for asking your question! 

Recover your computer to original factory settings, will erase everything but what came installed on the pc from the factory. 

Reset the computer by erasing the entire drive and recreating the factory setup, will erase everything from the hard drive including the factory installed software and then will reinstall them from the disks.  So for virus and malware removal, erasing the entire drive is probably the best way to go. 

Hope this helps.

I am an HP employee.
Student
Roballer
Message 3 of 4 (4,350 Views)

will this allow me to go back to windows 7? I upgraded to 8 back in december. However, I didn't realize I could do a dual boot setup incase I didn't like 8. I have a pavillion dv6t cto 6100 quad edition. bought back in summer of 2011. 

Top Student
littledao
Message 4 of 4 (4,156 Views)

i did that and lost all data including factory insilations need help to recover all

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation