Question

Honor Student
hpuser1234
Message 1 of 4 (10,605 Views)

how to get recovery mode command prompt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on Pavilion HPE (h8-1110t)

I have created my Windows recovery DVD set.  I would like to get to a command prompt in recovery mode.  But when I boot with the recovery disc, I am only given HP's limited recovery options... I do not get an option for the command prompt, as normal Window 7 allows (like this).  Is there some roundabout way to achieve this?

fyi- the reason I want to do this is to move the Users directory off of my primary SSD and onto my secondary HDD (like this).  Safe mode command prompt does not suffice because you must login as a user, and thus there are files in the Users directory that are locked and do not allow the copy to proceed.  I am not requesting assistance with this part of the process... I only need help getting to a recovery mode command prompt without a user login.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (10,600 Views)

Re: how to get recovery mode command prompt

Have you tried booting into the Recovery partition by tapping/holding the F11 key after powering on the machine? Not sure if command prompt is available there  since I have only used it on an XP machine which did offer it. Fortunately haven't had to use Recovery yet on either of my Win 7 machines.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Top Student
musiraj
Message 3 of 4 (10,589 Views)

if you can find any of two Win7 or Win Vista Disc from someone, like friend or any one who can give u the disc for just this purpose only. your problem is solved then you just need to boot pc from the Disc, the rest you u know.

Honor Student
hpuser1234
Message 4 of 4 (10,517 Views)

In the end, yes, I had to use the recovery disc from a different computer.  It is not good of HP to provide hobbled Windows discs.  Boo!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation