no build id or feature byte (9293 Views)
Top Student
jeremylcranmer
Message 1 of 13 (9,293 Views)

no build id or feature byte

my build id and feature byte section of my bios is blank, cant recover how do input info in bios? windows 7, currently non-op, hp pavilion p6644y just got restore disks and they wont load

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 13 (9,302 Views)

Re: no build id or feature byte

[ Edited ]

jeremylcranmer wrote: my build id and feature byte section of my bios is blank, cant recover how do input info in bios? windows 7, currently non-op, hp pavilion p6644y just got restore disks and they wont load

Hello jeremylcranmer, You cannot edit the BIOS. The HP Recovery Restore disk should match the Product Number located on the system case. This Product Number is used to determine the software that was shipped with your system.

If the HP Recovery Restore disk set does not work on your system, they may not be the ones that should have been ordered for your system.

You might try the F-11 method to perform the HP Recovery Restore procedure from the hard drive partition.

When the system boots, and you see the HP Logo, immediately start tapping the F-11 key and see if you can enter the HP Recovery Restore Utility. If you can, select the destructive method and the hard drive will be formatted and the data wiped from the hard drive.

The software should then be reinstalled just as it was when shipped from HP.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
jeremylcranmer
Message 3 of 13 (9,277 Views)

MY MACHINE BUILD ID IS 10NAFMRW6**#SABA#DABA sorrry, my disk id is 10nafmrw601, hdd was wiped

so no luck there

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 13 (9,272 Views)

Hello jeremylcranmer, You might try restoring the system by the F-11 method.

Boot the system and when the HP Logo screen appears, immediately start tapping the F-11 key and see if you can enter the HP Recovery Restore Utility.

If you can, select the destructive method and the hard drive will be formatted and all the data wiped from the hard drive.

If the system hardware has not become faulty and the D: Factory partition is still intact with no corruption, the system should be restored to the state it was when shipped from HP.

If you manage to get the system back, you can then make a set of Recovery Restore Disks. This will require three DVD+R disk.

Top Student
jeremylcranmer
Message 5 of 13 (9,268 Views)

no f-11 trying to restore from factory supplied recovery disk set
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 6 of 13 (9,270 Views)

jeremylcranmer wrote: no f-11 trying to restore from factory supplied recovery disk set

Hello jeremylcranmer, If you wiped the D: HP Recovery Restore partition on the hard drive, the F-11 method would not be available.

If the HP Recovery Restore disk do not work on your system, they may not be the ones needed for your system. These Recovery restore disk must be the exact version for the software that was shipped with the system.

You may need to contact HP and explain that the Recovery Disk set will not work on your system. You would need to knpw the Model number, the serial number, and the Product Number of the system, in order to get the proper disk for your system.

Top Student
jeremylcranmer
Message 7 of 13 (9,258 Views)

thanks your as helpful as the instructions that came with the recovery disks. and assuming i dont know what disks to order makes me so glad i came here for help, i think now the best solution is to throw the computer out the 2nd floor window and never buy a hp product again.

Student
Novice_Comp
Message 8 of 13 (9,238 Views)

What are your the  Bios version 6.00 or not? If The Bios version 6.00 You can see The System IDs in Main menu

Top Student
jeremylcranmer
Message 9 of 13 (9,195 Views)

my bios usually displays the correct build id and feature byte, when my computer got infected, the bios was flashed and my info was wiped out, my partition recovery stopped working, and windows stoppped loading, so i ordered the correct disk from hp.com and when it arrived i tried to run it from startup and it says that this disk cannont be used with this computer and to contact hp, so i tried to get help here and failed.

Honor Student
Skylarking
Message 10 of 13 (8,748 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try the following (it may or may not work):

1. Access BIOS

2. Press CRTL-A

3. Goto the SECURITY section of the BIOS

4. Goto the SECURITY_ID sub menu

5. Fill in the BuildID, FeatureByte, ProductName, ChassisSerial, SKU_Number .

Which label contains which item may be different for each machine.

Generally the BuildID and FeatureByte is located on the lable on the underside/bottom of the machine

The ProductName, ChassisSerial, SKU_Numbe is located on the side/top of the machine.

6. F10 to save the data for each field, then F10 and enter to exit BIOS.

7. Try the System Recovery disks again and see if this yeilds a beller outcome.

Hope this helps you more than it helped me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation