Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No panic over these but any tips woulds be appreciated.

Six months or so ago I was persuaded by Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10.   Whether or not the change is an improvement is a matter of opinion.

(1)  I prefer to use IE as my browser; among other things it facilitates Roboform which I find very useful when completing forms, etc.   Windows 10 has placed Edge as a browser which frequently seems to override IE and makes such as Roboform unavailable.   Is there a way of making IE my default browser so that Edge does not intrude?

(2)  When I boot up, the new Windows 10 blue windowed welcoming screen appears but the wording thereon is Windows 7, something I have not used for some years.   Furthermore, when I email people, I am told that they see me as being named as Windows 7.   Not even Windows 10!

(3)   Since Installing Windows 10, not only has my emergency printer (an Epson Color Stylus 400) stopped being recognised and thus rendered useless, many of my required files were produced with Microsoft Works and these also fail to respond.

If anyone has an answer to any of the above, I should be delighted to hear of it.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BrianJoyce

Internet Explorer is still around in Windows 10.

Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > let the list fill in (take about 3-7 seconds) >

Scroll down, find / click Internet Explorer > Choose defaults for this program >

Select which items you want controlled by IE

In some cases, depending on the circumstances, it is perfectly OK (and perhaps desired) to have some items (still) handled by Edge or another favorite browser.

You can adjust the list of "checked default" items as needed until you get the balance you seek.

Green_Line_1.jpg

The "Welcome Screen" bits left over after your previous migration to W10 may or may not be something you can fix the way you want.

You can certainly control some of what you see:

Windows key > (left side) Settings > Personalization >

Adjust as desired

OR (alternatively):

Right-Click on a clear area on your Desktop > Personalize

and

Right-Click on a clear area on your Desktop > Display

Green_Line_1.jpg

The email setup "I am windows 10" is possibly coming from

email program > settings > signature

Green_Line_1.jpg

I checked the Epson Website support page for your printer -- there have (apparently) not been drivers for this printer since the days of Vista.

My first thought is to suggest you buy a nice, shiny HP Officejet 8740 (or other series).  Smiling.

I did find this website claiming to have a Epson 400 print Driver that is rated for Windows 8:

Laptops Driver - Epson Stylus Color 400 Driver

Windows 8 Driver might be something you can install -- BEFORE you try that, create a Restore Point:

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

Green_Line_1.jpg

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BrianJoyce

Internet Explorer is still around in Windows 10.

Control Panel > icon view > Default Programs > let the list fill in (take about 3-7 seconds) >

Scroll down, find / click Internet Explorer > Choose defaults for this program >

Select which items you want controlled by IE

In some cases, depending on the circumstances, it is perfectly OK (and perhaps desired) to have some items (still) handled by Edge or another favorite browser.

You can adjust the list of "checked default" items as needed until you get the balance you seek.

Green_Line_1.jpg

The "Welcome Screen" bits left over after your previous migration to W10 may or may not be something you can fix the way you want.

You can certainly control some of what you see:

Windows key > (left side) Settings > Personalization >

Adjust as desired

OR (alternatively):

Right-Click on a clear area on your Desktop > Personalize

and

Right-Click on a clear area on your Desktop > Display

Green_Line_1.jpg

The email setup "I am windows 10" is possibly coming from

email program > settings > signature

Green_Line_1.jpg

I checked the Epson Website support page for your printer -- there have (apparently) not been drivers for this printer since the days of Vista.

My first thought is to suggest you buy a nice, shiny HP Officejet 8740 (or other series).  Smiling.

I did find this website claiming to have a Epson 400 print Driver that is rated for Windows 8:

Laptops Driver - Epson Stylus Color 400 Driver

Windows 8 Driver might be something you can install -- BEFORE you try that, create a Restore Point:

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

Green_Line_1.jpg

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your ideas.   I  successfully changed to IE (I hope), then stumbled a bit on the opening screen part (Windows 7 instead of 10) and have created a restore point, just in case I might need it.  

I did check with the driver update link, it says "Laptop" but would probably work with my Compaq.   However, I found it would cost about $25 per year so I may not pursue that route even though I have nearly that value in Epson cartridges in hand.   After all, my old HP DeskJet 3845 is still doing its job pretty well and the Epson was only linked in as a stand-by when the HP was out of ink, etc.

So, thanks again for your trouble.

Brian

HP Recommended

@BrianJoyce

You are welcome.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.