Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23 ho23-056 touch
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I currently am running windows 8.1 x64 bit, and I am thinking of copying my entire hard drive (consisting of C & D drives using a total of 929.2 GB of space.  And wanting to get a Western Digital External Hard Drive with 1.5 TB of space.  I have been led to believe that windows 8.1 has a utility called System Image Back Up Utility (located in the Control Panel).  I have also been led to believe that this can be done completely using a bit by bit copy of the entire hard drive (programs, files, drivers, apps, utilities, etc),  But I can not fine enough info on doing this. And there are still questions, such as How do you transfer the copy from the external hard drive back onto the PC if it should completely crash? (I do have a five disk recovery set I made when I purchased my PC, but still want an additional source of a back up system.)  I can not find the procedures for copying the copy from the external hard drive to the crashed PC, and are ther better and safer programs out there to use instead of the windows system Image back up utility?  I would add that I am somewhat of an intermediate user, useing PCs since windows 95. but there are obviously issues that I need to research before attempting something this complicated and advanced.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in Advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

nks for the Information, and I'm glad to see that I am not being "abnormal" or "paranoid" about backing up my system.  I wish Microsoft wopuld let you make multiple recover disc sets, not just the initial set upon your initial startup after purchase>  Thanks again for getting back on my question so quickly.

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Info, appreciate it very much

HP Recommended

It is not abnormal to create an efficient backup plan. What is paraniod is the mindset when disaster happens, and no plan was ever instituted to simply continue on as IF nothing was wrong.

PS> Thanks for comments and the Solution and the Kudo flags.   It helps others know your inquiry was handled, and your satisified.   Deeply appreciate that.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.