Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1310d
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

So I was using my computer yesterday and it was completely fine. I turned it on today to find that all my files on my desktop were sorted by alphabetical order and the desktop was black. The next thing was a popup appeared saying that Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center has stopped working. The taskbar is completely empty and only shows the windows icon, date, time, volume etc.

The resolution seems to be messed up and most things appear a bit blurry. Task manager does not show anything under any of its tabs and search is not working at all. Many of the windows functions are not working and it seems that data that was saved in my browsers were completely erased. 

If anyone has any possible solution for this I'd really appreciate it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @TFHB, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your PC is not showing taskbar and you are getting error Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center has stopped working.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Did you do a windows update on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Restart your PC and let it keep running idle without touching anything for about 5 minutes. That should get all processes loaded.
Then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Fire up task manager.
Go to Startup tab and disable all the applications listed there (Windows 8 doesn't show important startup processes there so it's safe).

Then click apply and OK. Again restart and see if the problem persists.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and something called Task Manager pops up.

Open File menu and click Run new task (Windows 8 and later) or New Task (Run…). Keyboard magic for this is Alt+F+N.

Type explorer and click OK (or hit Enter key). After some disk grinding, Desktop icons and Taskbar appear again.

If the issue still persists try performing a system restore and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi! @TFHB, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your PC is not showing taskbar and you are getting error Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center has stopped working.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Did you do a windows update on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Restart your PC and let it keep running idle without touching anything for about 5 minutes. That should get all processes loaded.
Then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Fire up task manager.
Go to Startup tab and disable all the applications listed there (Windows 8 doesn't show important startup processes there so it's safe).

Then click apply and OK. Again restart and see if the problem persists.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and something called Task Manager pops up.

Open File menu and click Run new task (Windows 8 and later) or New Task (Run…). Keyboard magic for this is Alt+F+N.

Type explorer and click OK (or hit Enter key). After some disk grinding, Desktop icons and Taskbar appear again.

If the issue still persists try performing a system restore and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system restore on your PC.

I'll watch your reply!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

The day before this problem occurred I had not made any changes to my hardware, any software and neither did I do a windows update. So far I have tried using the sfc/ scannow command and other related commands to try and fix my hard drive which is apparently the problem. Unfortunately the restorehealth command would not fix it but it does state that the problem is repairable but nothing I do would help.

I'll try out your instructions and take a look at the system restore part. Once again, thanks for the reply

HP Recommended

Hi @TFHB, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, please try the suggested steps and let me know how it goes. 

Also, please run a system test on your computer to make sure all the components are working correctly. Click here for assistance. 

If any of the tests fails, please contact our phone support for the service options available.

Please follow the procedure mentioned below to contact our phone support. 

• Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Enter Product number or select to auto detects
  • Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.