Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 3 (74 Views)

Finis file in C:\hp\bin

Product Name: SR 1129 UK
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

I know it's an old PC but it performs well except that  nis.exe keeps hogging my CPU.  Investigating,  I find that 2 copies of nis.exe are in a file named Finis in C:\hp\bin .  What is Finis (I can't open it) and why should a HP file contain nis.exe. Is it a trojan? Help would be appreciated please.

Teacher
Message 2 of 3 (65 Views)

Re: Finis file in C:\hp\bin

As we have properly  understood your issue please read this statement:

NIS.exe is a legitimate file. It is also known as Norton Internet Security and belongs to Symantec Security Technologies. It is commonly stored in C:\Program files.

And can you pleas ehelp us with the error message you are getting right now so that we can assist you better?

Nitin singh

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (45 Views)

Re: Finis file in C:\hp\bin

Thanks Guteria-123

I don't have an error message. As I explained, I am trying to stop Norton from hogging my CPU, and a previous forum post concluded that a'virus posing as nis.exe could be the problem. I know perfectly well what nis.exe is. I just want to know if the presence of a copy of nis.exe in a file named Finis in C:\hp\bin  is normal, or could this be a virus causing the CPU problem.  hp\bin seems a funny place to have 2 copies of nis.exe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation